Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: (Re)Opening a Family Heirloom (pic heavy)  (Read 5010 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: (Re)Opening a Family Heirloom (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2013, 03:18:25 PM »
Thanks for celebrating with me, y'all!

Yeah, Marty, I was looking forward to cleaning this up (especially since it doesn't need much cleaning), but after seeing it, I'm thinking I might leave it just like it is.  It does have a wonderful patina, and some good memories in that little bit of grease.  I can't wait for my kids to cook on it.

It was funny, too, because I called Weber CS today to order a bunch of stuff and asked about the fiber washers.  The lady worked really hard at it, but couldn't find the category in her computer system for any pre-1980 Smokey Joes-- it was like it was ancient history or something; totally inaccessible.  But I ran out to the shed, got the box down, pulled out the original parts list, and gave her the digits for the fiber washers, and she said, "Oh, here they are, fiber washers!".  It was like I had just given her the codes for a time machine or something. 
One of the charcoal people.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2013, 09:31:26 PM »
We can't call it a "score" and it's definitely not a "rescue" in the classic sense, but what you have there Mike is a bonafide treasure. I'm not sure I'd even clean it up. It has all the patina from some great family cookouts right there to see. Glad you shared it with us, and honestly - with that great back story to tell -  I didn't even notice it was black. Well done.

I echo this exactly, couldn't have said it better....
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »
That story is the essence of this craft. Your joe is awesome and ready for some more memory making! Thanks for sharing!

100% agreed.....

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
What is this name Stavlund?  Danish?  Swedish?  You from Sverige?  For sure Nordic.....

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:33 PM »
It's Swedish, as Swedish as the pancakes my kids will beg me to make them in the morning.
One of the charcoal people.

ChadRex

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Nice grill, Thanks for sharing the story.
I am sure most of us remember our first time watching or helping our dad grill, hopefully and majority of us watched it happen with a Weber. (in my father case his first charcoal grill was a Sear/Kenmore branded Happy Cooker- He and I both were convinced this grill was a re-branded Weber,still stands today in my garage.)

I remember my father smoking our Thanksgiving Turkey every year on that 22.5 inch kettle.

Growing up in the Midwest November was cccoold.  He would bundle up in layers and a stocking cap, light the coals and swiftly shuffle back to the shelter of our garage seated on a folding lawn chair and watch as the grill reliably and ever so steadily sat in the drive way smoking our Turkey. It would take 6-8 hours, with Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade or NFL game  playing in the background as I spent this time by his side talking about the simple things in life. The crisp cold air, a smoking grill my day and I in our lawn chairs he with a Budweiser my brothers & I with a "DAD's Root Beer" ( Which later in life we would get to share sips of our dads real beer.) Every time I light the grill for my family on Thanksgiving the smells take me back to my fondest memory of my father. The charcoal grill was a bonding, learning and time of journey to becoming a family man like he is.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 12:55:22 PM by ChadRex »
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."                                                                                               ... Aristotle