Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: not your average fish grill!! salmon heads!  (Read 1593 times)

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
not your average fish grill!! salmon heads!
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:30:40 PM »
ok..i am a chinese dude.  i really balk at eating salmon heads..but my mother in law loves them...happy wife happy life, (something like that)

so i marinate some salmon heads in sake, ginger, soy sauce, green onions.  big pinch of salt, some fresh ground black pepper..bag it all up in a big ziplock.  after a 2 hour soak, build a two level bed of coals.  one side stacked high, the other just a few hot coals.  i dump in a small section of apple wood branch, soaked.

skin side down, sear it..till it is golden brown and delicious.  then flip it and do the same thing to the meat side.  (you did remember to clean the grate and lube it, right?)..once it is browned all around..i move it all over to the cooler side..lid on and let it bake in the smoke.  about 20 minutes.  check the thickest parts for done-ness.  i use a paring knife and pull out a flake.

done?  serve it all up with lemon wedges!  this is a $20 dollar dish at a sushi joint..i get the salmon head fresh off the body at my fish monger for $1.20 lb. 

my MIL loves her SIL.  hahah.  coals are usually warm enough to make myself something less adventurous..but i do eat the meaty flesh parts.  yum.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: not your average fish grill!! salmon heads!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:07:53 AM »
I would eat that ... I would definitely eat that!!  But, my wife would not go near that ... It's the whole head and eyes thing with her.  ???

That looks so simple. Thanks for sharing.  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: not your average fish grill!! salmon heads!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:38:11 AM »
Looks great, hoc!  Nice of you to go old-school for your MIL, and to share your wisdom here.  I'll have to ask the fish monger at my local Asian market about some heads.  Might need to blindfold my kids, though.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.