Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How hot do you get your brisket?  (Read 4473 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: How hot do you get your brisket?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
Thanks for posting mike.  Try foil next time, see how  it works for ya. I typically foil around 165.

What grade of brisket did you start with?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »

"What grade of brisket did you start with?"

good question there......

BluDawg from Bretheren & Smoke Ring says over & over he leaves choice grade alone, but will shoot select grade with canola oil to keep the moisture up.....I've seen enough of his cooks to know that would work.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 04:39:17 AM »
That is a great question, but I'm afraid I have no clue.  My main meat market has only one kind of brisket (flat), so I just looked for a piece that was pliable and had a relatively consistent thickness.  I will start paying more attention to the grade of the meat in the future.
One of the charcoal people.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 05:56:13 AM »
That is a great question, but I'm afraid I have no clue.  My main meat market has only one kind of brisket (flat), so I just looked for a piece that was pliable and had a relatively consistent thickness.  I will start paying more attention to the grade of the meat in the future.

Mike, it may go against your moral fibre, but if you have a Walmart near by, they throw all their brisket in the same spot.  Many are select   :'(  , a good deal of them are Choice, which will work great for you, and then you will find a rare Prime sometimes, comingling with the masses.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 06:44:40 AM »
 I owe you an apology there Mike.....I'm spewin' all kindza crap like I almost know what I'm talkin' about & didn't even think to ask if it's whole or just flat......
There's a lot of places where flats are what's available.....the Sam's Club / Walmart around here doesn't even carry them, except rarely WallyWorld will..........
The place I do get them has choice at one store & select at a place in a different area, same price by way of the ad........
Flat only will be different than the whole one, not as much fat & more risk of drying out.....will cook up nice & briskety, but it is a bit different ballgame.....

Don't know how close this might be to you, but here's a whale of a deal on brisket, people are talking about buying freezers just to get the sale stuff stored away ~~~>

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64195&sid=26ea9355611e0d309b5cd07b9ac13e0a
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »
I too have heard flats being harder to keep moist.  I injected my brisket with beef broth and a few other things and foiled it at 160 and it turned out pretty good.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
I don't live near a Wal-Mart, but I'll do my best to check out their brisket.  Especially if they have it for $1/lb!!  And I'll take a close look at the grade of the meats.
One of the charcoal people.