Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How hot do you get your brisket?  (Read 4475 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
How hot do you get your brisket?
« on: July 17, 2013, 09:04:10 PM »
I've just tucked one in for overnight on the WSM, and am wondering when I should pull it.  I'm seeing recipes that call it 'done' at anywhere between 180 and 195 internal.  I've done two previously, great flavor but a little tough.  Of course I wasn't smart enough to leave myself any notes about how I cooked 'em...

If you rely on something other than internal temp, I'm all ears as well. 
One of the charcoal people.

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: How hot do you get your brisket?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »
When a thermometer probe slides in with little resistance, it is done.

IMO, the quicker you cook it, the higher the finish temp will be. So, for a low and slow overnight cook at low temps, you may in fact be done around 190, especially if you let it rest in a warm cooler,afterwords.  A hot and fast cook may be dine closer to 200

But, as said above...it is done when tender and no resistance...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
Thanks, G.  I have it running at 250, and was planning to stash it in a cooler when I pull it off.  So your advice is really helpful. 

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 09:52:31 PM »

I've tried to go by temp & ended up listening to the Texas old-timers.........could be anywhere from 185~205, but probe-tender is key..........when the therm (some people save $90 on getting a Thermopen & use a $2 ice pick ! ) pokes in like soft warm butter & ALSO pulls out the same, NO resistance............then it's done............reaasonable long rest period is a good thing  1~2 hrs.
it was confusing to me for a long time.......an underdone one seems the same as an overdone one there's a window where everything is good & it's wider than I thought......each one will act a bit different.....I've not even done tons of them & have noticed exactly this...........

This one, if I remember right, was 203, mostly......

From Here ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/brisket-prawn/msg7491/#msg7491

& this one was 193~95, mostly......

From Here ~~>

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/msg20382/#msg20382

Both were shot with Big Ron's moisture retention mix & the differences were the 1st was select grade, whole piece & the second was choice grade, point only.......  193 &203 is a bit of difference......I tried to get temps, just 'cause people ask......but was really paying attention to the feel of it............
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »
No idea from me, this cut is my nemesis as I refer to it. I did one a very long time ago on gas... Ugh and it was dry as a bone, I couldn't eat it. I want to try one this weekend in fact, I'm a bit nervous about it. But my smoking game has stepped up tremendously since the old days. The problem is I've never had a good brisket before so I'm only going by what people say. I've watched a few videos on it and think I'm prepared to handle this cut finally.

Can't wait for pics!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 11:29:27 PM »

Chasing......A good idea is to look for one that's really flexible / pliable.....I learned that from people who've done bazillions of them & it helps....

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:50 PM »
Probe tender is the best advice you can get with brisket. If it doesn't probe like butter, I let it ride anywhere from 30-60 minutes more before checking again. You can't rush it or you'll end up with shoe leather. The point will probe tender sooner than the flat.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34:57 PM »
Probe tender is the best advice you can get with brisket. If it doesn't probe like butter, I let it ride anywhere from 30-60 minutes more before checking again. You can't rush it or you'll end up with shoe leather. The point will probe tender sooner than the flat.

^^^^^^   YES   ^^^^^

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:01:29 AM »
This is all very helpful.  It's kind of fortunate, I guess, that my Maverick temp probe is not working, since it puts my focus more on heat control, and will encourage me to rely on texture instead of temp.  This is new to me, so pretty exciting. FWIW, I watched a video of the top-dog Texas brisket guy (Aaron Franklin), and he seemed to rely on texture as well:  he basically bent the brisket to feel how tender it was.  Pretty impressive, since he did so with his bare hands.

Had the WSM rock-steady at 250 all night, give or take a few degrees.  Just checked the meat-- 185, but not as tender as y'all are describing.  So I'll keep looking for that window, and hoping for the best.

Really appreciate it!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 06:08:31 AM »
You are close, Mike.  I also forgot to specify, when you are probing ensure that you are hitting the middle of the flat.  You will of course get an invalid result if you prove through the river of fat between probe and flat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 06:11:32 AM by G$ »

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
I envy you guys, since in most peoples minds brisket is one of the main things to BBQ....I don't like the taste or texture of this cut of meat. I had some from the Roadkill grill place that was featured on Diners, Drive ins and Dives and hated the taste. I thought I could do better....My meat was not as greasy as theirs was but there is something in the underlying flavor I just don't like. I don't like liver or venison either so I guess I am weird. This is one of those cuts I would enjoy cooking for others but would not eat myself.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 06:49:27 AM »
Pulled it at about the 11 hour mark.  That last hour made a huge difference in terms of tenderness.  Wrapped it in foil and towels and stashed it in the cooler for a few hours rest.  Can't wait to see how it tastes. 

Thanks for all of the help! I will keep you posted.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »

"it's kind of fortunate, I guess, that my Maverick temp probe is not working, since it puts my focus more on heat control, and will encourage me to rely on texture instead of temp. "

turn off the computer......trust your feelings.....Luke......Use The Force...... 8)

Also, test with your bare hands & use the word: "y'all" as much as y'all'd like.....

G$ is accurate about that place to test, I'll maybe check a few places around, just to see.....I've also let the coals run down lower near the end, so it still keeps cooking, but the edges don't get quite so fried..............

OTP's got some more stuff I agree with....one of the main reasons I'll do this stuff is the wife is sorta from Oklahoma & won't eat a lot of my California BBQ......she will go for this, however.....
I'm not seriously thrilled with brisket either, I'll put strange additions into the rub, injections, etc. to get it tasting different than it would basically
 liver you can keep & venison is hard to work with, good, but hard to work with...

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
Thanks for the support and advice, y'all!

Coming off the smoker.

Wrapped and rested in a cooler for several hours.

A little dry, but plenty tender.  Could have used a bit more seasoning (salt and pepper), but I injected it with about 1/2 cup of low-sodium beef broth, and was nervous about over-salting.  I'll be a bit more aggressive next time. Really tender, though, thanks to all of y'all.

I'll also think about foiling it mid-cook to enhance the moisture.  The 'Weber Smoke' recipe called for wrapping in foil at 160 degrees internal, but I ignored that.  The aforementioned Aaron Franklin wraps his briskets in butcher paper to retain some moisture without losing the bark, but I can't find butcher paper that comes less that 3 miles per roll.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »

That looks really yummy....y'all !!!

that's the part I was talking about letting the coals wind down after a certain point......see how the edge started to crumble?

Not bad, but an indicator of it getting on the 'too done' side of things.........the most of it, thru the middle &  the far side looks great !!!!!

PS: I already have a 6 mile roll of white butcher's, uncoated, but fairly lite weight & I can reel off some for folks to try if they'd like to do that.....probably just have to use a few layers, 'cause it is thinner than the standard I think gets used for that purpose, y'all..... 8)