Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Mods I would like advice on  (Read 31455 times)

Nasoj21

• Smokey Joe
Mods I would like advice on
« on: July 12, 2023, 08:21:50 PM »
Has anyone added a heat deflector to their kettle? It has been a long time, but I think I remember a member making a deflector for a 26” Otherwise, does anyone know of a good item to use for a 26"?
Also is there something I can use to turn an extra 26" into a smokey mountain, or would I be better off getting a used 22" and turning it into a smoker?
I have also been putting off spending the money on a temperature controller, is it worth the money?

I know that I regret getting a hinge kit. The lid is heavy and the hinge is not easy to use.You have to stretch and lift it across the grill from you and I feel like I am going to throw.out my back someday doing it.

Thanks ahead of time.

teejhanson

• WKC Brave
Re: Mods I would like advice on
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 09:28:45 PM »
I have a fireboard + fan and i love it. The app is amazing and I like the way it presents all of the cooking data. I don’t think it is necessary, and I also think you can keep just as consistent temperatures without it but it’s a fun toy to add to the mix.

I have also been wondering about a heat deflector for the 26” so I am glad you posted about it. It would be useful so that you could use the full real estate of the grill. I’m not sure if it was posted here or on a Facebook page, but someone posted this website for some custom cga charcoal baskets. I was looking at their website and found they have a deflector available for sale. It looks interesting…

https://www.heatbeacondesigns.com/shop-products/p/deflector-plate-and-charcoal-ring

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 04:21:55 AM »
Not a cheap fix, but with the concerns you’ve mentioned I’d recommend that you look into the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (now called the Summit Kamado).  It addresses all you’ve mentioned, has one of the best and easy to use lid hinges, comes with a deflector and holds temps easily without the need for a controller.  I lucked up and found a used one for about 1/3 the price of new - keep your eyes open for one, you might get lucky too.

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 06:57:33 AM »
In my humble opinion, I believe many more options on the 22” kettle for making it similar to the WSM and gives plenty of room with multiple racks. You can purchase the OnlyFire insert (pictured) or a Cajun Bandit as well as others for the 22” and even put a smaller insert in addition for more racks.

Pictured here is OnlyFire with a 22” FireDial heat diffuser and gives 4 racks of cooking space on one kettle. The OnlyFire comes with a hanging rack as well for ribs etc.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 02:17:27 PM »
I believe that the 26er is the most versatile charcoal grill out there, especially if you can get your hands on a CB roti kit.  The roti ring give you plenty of extra height if you need to do large cooks.  But even if you can't find one, you can easily add a "second layer" by utilizing a 22" grate.

Second Story   That give you room cook 5 or 6 racks of ribs at one time.

You can also, obviously, use the charcoal baskets for smaller cooks so you don't waste briquets.

But, obviously, the 22" has, by far, the most accessories and the Kamado has a lot going for it as well.  I am not dissing either of them as an option.

BD

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:20:29 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
Add a front handle and save your back!
Oh yeah, say no to the taco handle!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!