Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Work in progress kettle.  (Read 4880 times)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Work in progress kettle.
« on: July 14, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »
Taking a 2012 OTS that I got from work earlier this year and am in the process of turning it into a custom job. Its going to eventually get bigger wheels and the Euro leg it. I want to do an Americanized version of the Euro-Kettles. I put the lid bale on the other day. I used three different bits to work up to the right size hole. It looks like I may have installed it a half inch low, but it works great! As for the legs, Ive got the correct front leg, but Ill have to order longer rear legs. The Euro front leg is super long. I hadn't considered the rear legs being longer.  So for now, until later,  the OT(G) looks like modern kettle with some throwback flair with its wood handles and 70s wheels. It will also eventually get a new ash ring that wont require the hose clamps. The ring now is a holdover from when it was on my red kettle. I broke the tabs off it a while back...  :-[

Here it is before... I had already tinkered with the handles and hubcaps for fun..

Here it is after... (or so far)

Thanks for looking.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Work in progress kettle.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:33:02 PM »
Fantastic work Craig!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Work in progress kettle.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 09:43:41 PM »
What exactly are 'Euro' legs?
If it breathes, we can cook it!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 04:51:14 AM »
That looks great!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 06:45:21 AM »
I like it!
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 03:43:15 PM »
Looking good so far.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 03:50:41 PM »
Looks great Craig....I really like the wheels and new center caps you added.   Darn nice grill....for a BLACK one!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »
What exactly are 'Euro' legs?

The Euro legs are taller or longer than the American legs and require 8" wheels. When its done it will look something like this one pictured leg wise. I am doing different wheels and handles though. I will add a thermometer to the lid eventually.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:30:33 PM by Craig »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:01:30 AM »
Are they the same legs as the OTG Premium's?
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 03:12:50 AM »
Nice! Where did you get the black vent thingy?

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:24:42 AM »
You can get them from Weber -     #63048    Handle for lid damper, molded, black
But I've had difficulty sliding it on - any tricks? ?-)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:26:26 AM by stl-rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 08:05:48 AM »
Cool grill.

So, what is the reason for Weber selling a "euro" (longer) leg set up?  That makes no sense...   Because "euro people" are taller????

Heck, isn't Weber themselves who claim that a women make up a larger slice of the european Weber market than here in the US and THAT's why we can't get all of the cool custom colors here that they can there?   So if more WOMEN are buying grills in Europe, then why put longer legs on them there?

I LOVE Weber products, but the more I learn about the company policies, some things just don't seem to make sense!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:30:48 AM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Work in progress kettle.
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »

I bought mine with a replacement lid vent on eBay last year. I carefully pulled it off and I worked it on to the black kettle's vent.

As for Webers policies, I don't get it either. Other than that they say that the casual griller her in the U.S. could care less about colors, I disagree with that. I'm 5'8" and my guess is that this will stand as tall as a new 26"er does today, but ill find out when I get the correct length of rear legs. Duke has an awesome blue custom one he did. I know he can speak more to it on personal experience with kettle height.