Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ribs on the 22.5" WSM  (Read 280 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Ribs on the 22.5" WSM
« on: April 13, 2023, 06:00:18 PM »
What a beautiful few days to have off work!  I also had a PC points offer on pork so I made plans with a friend and I picked up a pair of back ribs and a pair of side ribs and got them seasoned with Memphis Dust last night, late last night since I needed to make up a new batch of rub because I was completely out.  These two pictures are interesting because it's the same batch of rub on both sets of ribs but they're in different locations in my kitchen and they look different because of the light sources.  Under the stove hood which has a 50 Watt Philips rough service incandescent:

Under the fluorescent above the kitchen sink:

I'm not sure what the camera in the phone was white balancing to.

Moving on to this afternoon, a mix of Maple Leaf and Royal Oak lump charcoals:

A light cherry wood smoke just starting up:

Sauced:

Sides:

And dinner is ready:

I've got a little bit of that pork shoulder left and have lots of leftover ribs even after a friend and I gorged ourselves tonight, so that'll carry me through several days of work once I go back on Saturday.

I think next will be chicken or beef, or maybe lamb since I've had quite a bit of pork recently.  For some reason I've been craving braised lamb shanks so if the weather deteriorates, maybe I'll do that.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: Ribs on the 22.5" WSM
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2023, 07:46:55 PM »
Looks deliciously fulfilling!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 09:59:05 PM »
Ribs are looking great! What BBQ sauce did you use on those?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2023, 03:20:31 AM »
those ribs look grate and so does the whole meal.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2023, 08:50:07 AM »
Ribs are looking great! What BBQ sauce did you use on those?

It's a slight variation of the Amy Anderson sauce recipe on page 118 of the "Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire" book.  I ended up making that sauce with a generous helping of maple syrup substituting in instead of honey years ago at the last minute because all my honey had crystalized and become rock hard.  It worked well so I've been making it that way ever since and that's what you see on the ribs here.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2023, 10:03:33 AM »
It's a slight variation of the Amy Anderson sauce recipe on page 118 of the "Weber's Charcoal Grilling: The Art of Cooking with Live Fire" book.  I ended up making that sauce with a generous helping of maple syrup substituting in instead of honey years ago at the last minute because all my honey had crystalized and become rock hard.  It worked well so I've been making it that way ever since and that's what you see on the ribs here.

Excellent sub for the honey! I use at least a little maple syrup every time I make ribs, it adds such a nice flavour to the taste profile. If you like maple (it's in our veins, no? ;) ) and ever come across Hey Grill Hey's Maple Bourbon Glaze be sure to grab a bottle or ten - its incredible! I've tried it all and its earned a permanant spot in the spice cupboard.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »
Dayum ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna