Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help dating an early PK  (Read 740 times)

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
Need help dating an early PK
« on: October 15, 2022, 03:35:34 PM »
I picked this one up today, pretty good condition PK for its age, I’m guessing early to mid 60’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Need help dating an early PK
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2022, 04:50:16 PM »
Not a Weber

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 05:13:46 PM »
Haha, I realize that lol. Old Webers rarely pop up around here, this old PK popped up today so I snagged it. There’s not any good info that I’ve found to truly narrow down the year like you can with Weber, I’m placing it 1960-65 by what I’ve found

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 06:40:10 PM »
Nice find pk’s are fun cookers. Great for steaks. There is a good pk facebook group that would probably help with your dating. “pk grill fanatics”

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2022, 11:58:44 AM »
Love it!  Didn’t mean to be an a$$….  I’ve never cooked on one, but understand they are great little cookers.

tiewunon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 07:00:31 AM »
@Izzygrillz,

- Looks very much like the one my father picked up in Thailand in 1963 at the Udorn PX. My sister has it now. She talked me out of it about 9 years ago.
- My daughter bought me a PK down in Florida almost 15 years ago. I am a huge fan of them. This past weekend I just smoked some beef chuck short ribs in it. Great rib machine.
- I have found and saved two of the older PK cookbooks electronically. If interested I will try to figure out how to get them to you.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff

Izzygrillz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 03:52:39 AM »
I’m also in the Facebook group, sounds like the consensus is early 60’s.

I would love the older pk cookbooks!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 05:56:41 PM »
All I know is they cook great however old they are

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

tiewunon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2022, 06:10:24 AM »
Izzygrillz,

Tried passing them to you via the PM method on this forum and it failed bounced back to me with no attachments.

I resent you a PM with I think would be the best way to get them to you.

BTW I could not agree more with @swamprb comment above.  They are great cookers that have withstood the test of time like Weber's.

V/R
Jeff

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2022, 07:34:15 AM »
Nice! Congrats. I have 3 PKs myself. They are great cooking machines but a pain to clean out.  I've been spoiled by the Weber ash sweeps.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 03:14:05 PM »
For those that have worries about ash issues in the original Classic PK’s I took some used Genesis Flavorizer bars and made some baffles. I got the inspiration from Innovation by Chance that sells stainless steel sets.

I’m always looking to trade Weber related items for vintage PK’s, and aluminum grills.
Hit me up if you’re interested

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

tiewunon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 04:17:07 PM »
@swamprb,

I went down that same route, however I had some issues on long cooks with ash piling up at the end of the baffle on indirect cooks.
I might have to give the baffle a try again.
In the interim I stole an idea from "pmillen" on another forum and bought a 5 gal wash tub at Tractor Supply and set it on the shelf. It does three things:
- catches any errant coal or ash that drops out
- mitigates the wind pretty much renders it a non issue.
- at conclusion of cook just sweep ashes into tub for disposal if I do not use my ash vacuum.
The wash tub does make lower vent adjustment difficult but I have found that my BGE ash tool works like a champ for this job.
Have also found that the Hastybake small and large grid extenders work fine in the PKO are more stout in build quality and when I bought them a couple of dollars cheaper.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Need help dating an early PK
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 04:36:53 PM »
I used to go the tub route as well but I mounted my Classic and Junior in a Performer frame and fixed a couple galvanized serving trays beneath them.

@tiewunon

are you into Hasty Bakes as well?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 04:42:12 PM »
As far as PK cookbooks there are some available to download on the PK Fanatic
Facebook group in the files

tiewunon

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 06:47:29 PM »
@swamprb ,
Yes to Hastybakes. I have Gourmet 257 and a Legacy 131.

That is a nice job mounting the PK's to the Performer frame. Guess you could call the rig "Dual Cool".