Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How old?  (Read 2142 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
How old?
« on: July 13, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
I want to convert a ots to a otg, i want to use the new style ash bucket, how old can i go so as it can attach as was intended?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Golly

• WKC Performer
Re: How old?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »
There is many a method Ron
1) hose clamp method
2) self tapping screw method
3) rocket air, method air comb your hair
Sorry that's a skit from tony hawk many moons ago
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
I have seen those methods, i was wondering how far back age wise i could go to attach them the way it is supposed to.  Thanks for the info and it may be the way i have to go.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:25:43 PM »
I'm not sure of the age they started orienting the leg socket tabs to allow ash can attachment, but you should be able to go look and see for yourself.  You're looking for all three leg sockets to be oriented to allow the tab from the ash can ring to slide underneath.  And I've heard legends of even old grills that had all the stars align to allow the modern ash can ring to snap into place.  Good luck!
One of the charcoal people.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
I'm not sure of the age they started orienting the leg socket tabs to allow ash can attachment, but you should be able to go look and see for yourself.  You're looking for all three leg sockets to be oriented to allow the tab from the ash can ring to slide underneath.  And I've heard legends of even old grills that had all the stars align to allow the modern ash can ring to snap into place.  Good luck!
Duh, i never thought of that  :-[  Thanks for the insight.

Craig

• WKC Mod
How old?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
If the kettle is 2000 DD or later, it will align properly. If its 1999 or older, chances are slim. Sometimes as Mike pointed out, you might get lucky.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:45:49 AM »
Craigs info is far more helpful than what I was going to post:

I can tell you for certain that by 2007 (DI) the buckets were the new style.  In addition, when you order the parts, they warn you that the new style will not fit "Mastertouch or prior to 2000 One Touch Golds" which perfectly agrees with Craig's info.