Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Snake stack  (Read 2205 times)

richcarl32

• Happy Cooker
Snake stack
« on: July 13, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
I am brand new to your forum here and I am going to try ribs using the snake method tomorrow on my 10 year old 22.5 inch weber kettle.  How do yall configure your snakes.  Two rows on the bottom and one row on the top or, two rows on the top? I need about 5-6 hours for babybacks , when i use the oven indoors, usually and assume that the snake should be about 1/4 of the circumference  of the kettle as well.  What do yall think?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Snake stack
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »
When i do the snake method i do 2 rows on the bottom and one on top, i have not done 2 and 2 so can't comment, but would think (oh oh  ;D) it might burn longer? Only one way to find out is to try it and report back.

Oh and welcome to the forum, have you introduced yourself in the intro section?
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 03:05:52 PM »

Welcome Here !!!

You may want to go a little farther around than 1/4.......you can always break the chain & save unlit coals if need be at the end............if only 5~6~7 coals are burning at a time, it would probably  take a bit longer chain to get all the way done.......the 5~6 hour estimate, I mean

Here's one way I've used a bunch of times, it's sort of like that, but modified a little....just drop a few lit ones in the gap right as you start & it kinda keeps the temp going, but maybe just a bit lower farther along in the cook.............
A lot of times two & one on top, with some lump chips as burn insurance, or you can pile thicker (2+2) and just close the vents a little more to burn slower...........

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/one-rib-method/

This one was not ribs & a bit longer burn, but shows a setup that worked well.....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/bob's-beef-o-rama/

The above could be used for ribs; I would then just keep them turned (rotate the whole cooking grate ) a few times during the cook, to keep from being right above the lit coals.........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

richcarl32

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
Well, I have decided to go with two on the bottom, one row on top and about 1/3 the circumference.  My wife does the shopping mostly and even though I was very specific about the charcoal that I wanted from a specific store, she brought me home blue bag kingsford.   Should I make any adjustments because if this charcoal? I have used this stuff many, many times for high heat chicken, steak, and burger/dog cooks but never for a slow and low.  It is all that I have so I will have to make it work.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »

It actually works pretty good as far as the stacking goes.....set them up on edge & wedge down into the grate to start & they'll sit against each other pretty good after that as you build around.....I like other 'natural' briq's better, but use these often enough.....nothing's the end of the world...... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Rich, report back how it goes please! I do not do a ton of snaking, but i think you still may need a longer snake to gomthat long.  Let us know!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 05:57:59 PM »
I usually go around 1/2 of the bowl.  I think that ends up being about 15 - 20 briquettes in a row.  I'll do 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top, with chunks of wood placed between the top and bottom across the snake.  Then I lite like 12 - 15 briquettes in the chimney and dump them onto one end.   I also use a big pan full of water on the same level as the coals.  This is with using natural briquettes like Stubbs.