Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: converting a 1981 22 inch kettle into a drink cooler  (Read 236 times)

Dan-H

• Smokey Joe
converting a 1981 22 inch kettle into a drink cooler
« on: September 26, 2022, 09:21:10 PM »
Before you send the hit men after me, here is the story, and reason...

1981, a 22 inch Weber kettle, C-code "brownie" was given to a family member as a wedding gift.

Many (20 ?) years later it was not being used and given to me.

6 or 7 years ago I loaned it to a friend.

I'm going to give my friend a different kettle so I can repossess the brownie, restore it and then re gift it back to the not so newlyweds.

But, they now live in an area with extreme fire risk so it's not as practical. They have a genesis E320 sidewinder and a propane smoker.

So, is there a good hack to add a liner or something to hold ice and drinks? It would look great on their deck.

I would like the mod to be reversible.

And maybe in winter they'll light coal in it.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:27:01 PM by Dan-H »

Squisjhy

• Smokey Joe
Re: converting a 1981 22 inch kettle into a drink cooler
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »
I'm not sure about if the dimensions would work but, here's my idea...

Take an old 18" or Jumbo Joe and cut off or cut down the leg sockets. Make a seal for the vent(s) on the 18" with .010" or greater shim stock, rubber, and a machine screw with a wing nut. The shim stock has to be then enough to flex but not so thick that it can crack from flexing. The screw should probably go through the rivet on the vent(s). You can loosen the wing nut to drain the 18" into the 22". Then cut the side handle down so the the 18" bowl will fit in the 22". The shortened handle and leg sockets will act as spacers. The air in between the two bowls will act as insulation.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app