Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Total. Brisket. Fail.  (Read 384 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Total. Brisket. Fail.
« on: August 22, 2022, 12:35:14 PM »
Had the absolute best cut of brisket, prime USDA. Totally ruined on the kettle.

2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Total. Brisket. Fail.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 12:38:18 PM »
what was the failure ?
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
what was the failure ?

That second photo tells the story. Dry, super hard. Could pound nails with it.
Managed to salvage the point and some of the flat by chopping it up, and adding a BUNCH of BBQ sauce.

Used the snake method. This was a large cut, so it went all the way across the grate. Wrapped at 170, pulled off the kettle at 205. Rested overnight in a cooler.

Huge disappointment.

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 01:05:36 PM »
I would have been very disappointed too. Looked like a really nice cut of meat. Did you turn the grate as the snake burned around so that it never was burning directly beneath an end of the brisket?
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 01:26:56 PM »
I would have been very disappointed too. Looked like a really nice cut of meat. Did you turn the grate as the snake burned around so that it never was burning directly beneath an end of the brisket?

No, but I should have done that! 40% of the flat was a cinder block. It will be given to the neighbor's dog.

Wrapped in paper at 170. This was the largest brisket cooked on my kettle. Temp was a rock solid 250 at the grate level, and 300 in the lid (Tel-Tru).

It was cooked fat side down.

While I did save some of the meat, this is absolutely the driest brisket ever.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:28:58 PM by TXFlyGuy »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 01:35:57 PM »
Don’t feel bad and, more importantly, don’t give up.

My first brisket was a total friggin disaster and we ended up eating Pizza Hut that night. 

Perhaps you can repurpose the leftovers into a stew?

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 02:11:16 PM »
Maybe fat side up next time. The heat is going over the top and out the lid vent so the fat will help protect the meat as it cooks.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 02:11:35 PM »
No, not giving up. Just pulled an Imperial Wagyu brisket out of the freezer. But this will go on the offset smoker.

The chopped beef was decent. Had family over, they really liked it. If you dump in enough BBQ sauce, you can make shoe leather taste good!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 02:14:18 PM »
Maybe fat side up next time. The heat is going over the top and out the lid vent so the fat will help protect the meat as it cooks.

Yes, fat side up.
This brisket did have the best smoke ring.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2022, 02:40:09 PM »
Chin up, it happens!  I’ve never tried the snake method, have used the slow n sear with drip n griddle always with low n slow on a kettle.  Best results have been on my 26” so the meat is far enough away from the heat source not to overcook parts of it.  Also have had good results on the Kamado Joe with a smaller brisket.  Live and learn, next one will be excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2022, 03:48:11 PM »
Chin up, it happens!  I’ve never tried the snake method, have used the slow n sear with drip n griddle always with low n slow on a kettle.  Best results have been on my 26” so the meat is far enough away from the heat source not to overcook parts of it.  Also have had good results on the Kamado Joe with a smaller brisket.  Live and learn, next one will be excellent!

We have had very good luck with smaller briskets and pork shoulders on the kettle. Using the snake method. A 26" kettle would have been much better for this one, as it was just too large for the 22".

With the Wagyu, going to do the foil boat method. This will be a first for us.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »
Use a pellet grill. I tried several times on my kettle with similar results. First time on my SmokeFire, hit it out of the park.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Total. Brisket. Fail.
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 05:41:30 PM »
Keep at it and, most important, have fun.   Brisket is the toughest cut to master.   I probably cooked a dozen before I got it to where I was happy with the result. 

Doing packer brisket on a 22 is challenging and as others said, a 26 is a good option.  Wsm is good too.  When I have used a 22, I cook it only until I wrap then finish in the oven.  Try to keep it around 12 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:01:11 PM by michaelmilitello »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 06:04:56 AM »
Have done about 5 briskets, 3 on the 22” kettle, 2 in my offset smoker.
This was the first failure!
It was too large…or the kettle was too small!

But the beans were totally awesome! They caught the drippings from the beef, lots of flavor.