Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vintage 26" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle vs 26.75 Gold  (Read 3491 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Vintage 26" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle vs 26.75 Gold
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the diameter of the bowls between the two?

When I ordered replacement 26" cook grates for my BBQK and 85 gallon UDS, Weber CS said they were the same size as for the 26.75 Gold (which they would not sell me) I know that the grates holders are lower in mine than the newer Golds.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Vintage 26" Weber Bar-B-Q-Kettle vs 26.75 Gold
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 09:01:45 PM »
Hey swamprb how you been? Any new kamados or Webers in your collection? I heard the bowls are the same but Duke should know better.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
Pretty sure the cooking grates are different sizes
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the diameter of the bowls between the two?

When I ordered replacement 26" cook grates for my BBQK and 85 gallon UDS, Weber CS said they were the same size as for the 26.75 Gold (which they would not sell me) I know that the grates holders are lower in mine than the newer Golds.

Hey Brian, it's been a while! I hope all is well with you.

I have one like yours and believe the bowl is the same size, but like you said the tabs that hold it sit lower. The old original grates measured 25, but if you raise them up you will see there is a gap. I can fit a grate from a regular 26.75 in mine now that I have modified it. You can also fit the newer charcoal grate if you want. Here's a picture of how I have mine set up. I love grilling on it with the heat a little further away. It allows me to cook direct for longer periods of time.

Here's my expanded ring that raises the grate about four or five inches. The grate sits on it really nice.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
Shaun, is the charcoal grate height and diameter different?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »

Sorry I didn't see this. The charcoal grate is still in the same place. If I raise it it would be more like the newer model.

wbenton

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:59 AM »

Hey Brian, it's been a while! I hope all is well with you.

I have one like yours and believe the bowl is the same size, but like you said the tabs that hold it sit lower. The old original grates measured 25, but if you raise them up you will see there is a gap. I can fit a grate from a regular 26.75 in mine now that I have modified it. You can also fit the newer charcoal grate if you want. Here's a picture of how I have mine set up. I love grilling on it with the heat a little further away. It allows me to cook direct for longer periods of time.

Here's my expanded ring that raises the grate about four or five inches. The grate sits on it really nice.

Duke,
I have a black flat top 26er as well and have often thought about ideas on how to raise the grill grate and your setup seems like a great idea.  The one idea I thought of would be to get several small square magnents and stack them on top of the tabs. But I havent been able to find any magnents like i want (but i havent looked very hard). But I also worry about the stability of the grate once on top of the magnents. Your setup seems like it solves the stability issues. 

PS - I really need to make some of the fire boxes. Did you weld yours or just tie them together with wire?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
Welcome WBenton, I just used baling wire for the ring and the firebox/basket. The nice thing about the ring is the expanded slips right through the tabs to keep it snug. Please share a picture of yours and let me know if you have any other questions.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »

Sorry I didn't see this. The charcoal grate is still in the same place. If I raise it it would be more like the newer model.
Diameter of the newer charcoal grate is bigger by a couple inches.
kettles, smokers...

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
I believe I could fit a new one in mine now. Hank, could you please give me an exact measurement of the new one and I will measure the space I have and see if it would positively fit? If so I may invest in a larger one.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
I believe I could fit a new one in mine now. Hank, could you please give me an exact measurement of the new one and I will measure the space I have and see if it would positively fit? If so I may invest in a larger one.
21 3/4" I wasn't happy at all with the way it fit. If you want, I'll set it in mine and get pictures and measurements.
kettles, smokers...