Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Finally found an affordable CGA  (Read 976 times)

acast285

• WKC Brave
Finally found an affordable CGA
« on: July 10, 2022, 11:52:26 AM »
After about a year of searching for a wood handled CGA that didn't cost $100+, I scored this P code in decent shape for $45.

It looks like it was used only a few times and just stored for a while. It has a few chips and surface rust, and the legs have some pretty deep corrosion. The cooking grate isn't too bad but the charcoal grate could probably be replaced.

All in all, not too bad and pretty excited to clean her up and to start experimenting with some new cooks!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Finally found an affordable CGA
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 04:44:37 AM »
These are such great little cookers.  Congrats.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 05:05:58 AM »
Congratulations!  I saw on FB yesterday that the riser/rotisserie attachments from OnlyFire are now available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JF98DLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 05:32:17 AM »
Thanks Mr. CPHo, looking forward to experimenting!

Thanks Bama! That will definitely get purchased in the near future!

It ended up cleaning up pretty good, I cleaned of the rust spots and chips with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool and the washed it completely with dawn soap, and then oiled the bare metal spots and loaded it with hot coals. I think everything is sealed up for now.

I had a few spots on the legs that were pretty corroded, they also happen to be on the sides that slide across the edge of the lid, probably helping some of chipping that had occurred.

I looked online but haven't been able to find any replacement legs legs anywhere. Any insight on how to get those?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 05:47:44 AM »
Thanks Mr. CPHo, looking forward to experimenting!

Thanks Bama! That will definitely get purchased in the near future!

It ended up cleaning up pretty good, I cleaned of the rust spots and chips with WD-40 and 0000 steel wool and the washed it completely with dawn soap, and then oiled the bare metal spots and loaded it with hot coals. I think everything is sealed up for now.

I had a few spots on the legs that were pretty corroded, they also happen to be on the sides that slide across the edge of the lid, probably helping some of chipping that had occurred.

I looked online but haven't been able to find any replacement legs legs anywhere. Any insight on how to get those?
Before replacement, you might consider buffing the legs gently with a dremel stainless brush wheel.  I've had great success removing surface rust this way.  Sometimes the plated look comes back looking like new.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 05:53:37 AM »
I will definitely give that a try!

Another note: when the legs are down, they are about an inch apart under the grill, and it didn't have a clip to hold them together. Is that normal for a 1993 grill? Or do you think they got bent at some point and should be touching or pretty close to it?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:36:55 PM by acast285 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 06:30:28 AM »

Another note: when the legs are down, they are about an inch apart under the grill, and it didn't have a clip to hold them together. Is that normal for a 1993 grill? Or do you think they got bent at some point and should be touch or.pretty close to it?
Totally normal, the clip if you had one is about an inch across.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 07:38:08 AM »

Another note: when the legs are down, they are about an inch apart under the grill, and it didn't have a clip to hold them together. Is that normal for a 1993 grill? Or do you think they got bent at some point and should be touch or.pretty close to it?
Totally normal, the clip if you had one is about an inch across.
Awesome thanks Bama!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2022, 12:36:41 PM »
I've seen a few ideas of folks cutting the grate in half to store in the bottom of the CGA, but there seems to few schools of thought:

Cut in half

Cut 1/3 : 2/3

Or Cut into 3 equal prices

What are you guys doing/using and prefer?

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2022, 01:38:02 PM »
Cleaned up pics.

Charcoal grate was in better shape that I thought

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 05:58:35 AM »
I've seen a few ideas of folks cutting the grate in half to store in the bottom of the CGA, but there seems to few schools of thought:

Cut in half

Cut 1/3 : 2/3

Or Cut into 3 equal prices

What are you guys doing/using and prefer?
It cleaned up very nicely!  As far as cutting the grate, there are a couple schools of thought out there.  I went with the longest cooking surface that would still fit sideways in the bottom of the grill when packed up.  This worked perfectly for me with the sizes of drip tray and charcoal basket installed.  I cut right after the 14th cross bar of the grate.  Some older grates may be different that have a larger gap on each end between the first cross bar and outer bar so just turn your grate sideways and see what will fit.  I used a grinder with a cutting wheel and took only a few minutes.  Good luck!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 04:52:59 PM »
Wow thanks! Looks like a grate set up!

Any tips on monitoring temps?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 06:08:08 PM »
I’ve been through a few temp units and should have gone with ThermoWorks first.  Would have saved me a bunch of wasted time and money.  Top notch products.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 05:51:05 PM »
That cleaned up great!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »
Thanks!

Yesterday my wife was cleaning the house and put it outside (it was on my kitchen table) and of course a summer storm rolled through and rained all over it after I spent a few hours scrubbing rust the week before [emoji1751]

Lesson learned... get a weber room like @bamakettles!

[emoji1787]