Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How can I protect my grill if scratched?  (Read 207 times)

Yancemeister

• Happy Cooker
How can I protect my grill if scratched?
« on: April 14, 2022, 10:16:29 AM »
Hey all, I'm new here.  My son was moving my 22" Kettle and accidently dropped the top in the driveway. It has a pretty nasty scratch on it.  I don't mind the scratch but I don't want it to rust so I'm here for ideas on how I can protect it.  Paint, Polish, Protectant... Oil?  I figured you all would know what to do.  I also noticed that the vent on top doesn't have a date code or serial number... so I wanted some thoughts on that as well. I'll include some images of the kettle. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How can I protect my grill if scratched?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
Hey all, I'm new here.  My son was moving my 22" Kettle and accidently dropped the top in the driveway. It has a pretty nasty scratch on it.  I don't mind the scratch but I don't want it to rust so I'm here for ideas on how I can protect it.  Paint, Polish, Protectant... Oil?  I figured you all would know what to do.  I also noticed that the vent on top doesn't have a date code or serial number... so I wanted some thoughts on that as well. I'll include some images of the kettle.

Hello and welcome from Huntsville, AL!  I recommend a little canola on it and heat it up.  Apply again every once in a while.  Also best to keep it dry if possible and it will last a long long time.  Here's an example 1978 of mine.  It's got some dings and scratches here and there but still cooks perfectly fine.  Character marks!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 10:37:23 AM »
+1 ^
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 10:57:50 AM »

Hello and welcome from Huntsville, AL!  I recommend a little canola on it and heat it up.  Apply again every once in a while.  Also best to keep it dry if possible and it will last a long long time.  Here's an example 1978 of mine.  It's got some dings and scratches here and there but still cooks perfectly fine.  Character marks!
Agree here. No need for sealant and definitely no need for high temp paint. A little canola oil applied every once in a while will keep any rust away for the life of the grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club