Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: fried chicken..grill style.  (Read 1418 times)

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
fried chicken..grill style.
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »
i've always argued that the kettle moves heat around like an oven..so i did some oven baked chicken.  it is my wife's and MIL favorite.  just so you know..any off the shelf chicken dusting will work.

here comes the boom!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:06:01 PM »
Very nice! Looks like you have a dslr too. Beautiful shot, and great cook. I did pork chops kettle fried last week that turned out great.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: fried chicken..grill style.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:26:44 PM »
In terms of temperature stability, for short periods of time (say about an hour at least ) a kettle is probably far more accurate than your home oven. 

A year or so ago when I got tired of people complaining about their stokers oscillating ten degrees, I ran a test and put the probes in my oven.  The temp swings are huge- above 25 degrees then under 20 degrees, rinse and repeat. 

Point being, yeah, you can cook anything in the kettle! At least as well as in an oven!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
That's interesting g$, but makes sense as the burner clicks on and off to regulate heat. I'm baking soft pretzels on my kettle right now. Our oven has been down for awhile but I have no real need for it. Especially in the summer heating up the place.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
Yep cs, the heating element in the oven cycles at a pretty predictable interval, and leads to wide oscillation.  I just thought it was funny that people complained about temp variance in their WSM (or kettle) and they did not know how good they had it!  Once you find how to dial in a temp for your cooker.....its a "piece of cake" to oven cook on the grill.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:36:28 PM »
Chicken looks great!  When i did three spatchcocked chickens on three different kettles they all were at 300deg with the same set up 8)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......