Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: pork chops on 22.5 otg  (Read 3739 times)

ligrill

• Smokey Joe
pork chops on 22.5 otg
« on: July 11, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
I am looking to do some pork chops tomorrow on my weber.  I have watched a few youtube videos but some dont say how long to cook for.  I was planning on 350f and 5 minutes per side.  Is that good?

Thanks!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: pork chops on 22.5 otg
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
hmm, that is tough I don't go by temps when I am doing direct cooking.  I cook chops until they are firm but not hard and them move them to the other side until they get to 150ish in temp.  You don't have to make chops well done anymore.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
You are very perceptive, ligrill:  that's usually the part of the recipe that gets left out!  The most important part.  ;-)  In fairness, though, that's the part that is the hardest to predict.  It's affected by a zillion variables, most notably the thickness of the meat and the heat of the fire. 

I would suggest setting up a two-zone fire-- hot coals on one half of the grill, and none on the other side.  This allows you to cook the food directly over the heat (so, similar to broiling or frying) and/or indirectly away from the heat (so, similar to baking or roasting in an oven).  It's also nice to have a kind of 'rescue zone' if you get flareups or whatnot. 

Once you've got your fire going, I'd say there are two schools of thought.

1.  Sear the meat, then roast it away from the heat.
2.  Do what's called a 'reverse sear', where you roast the meat first, then when it's almost finished you sear/mark it on the hot side of the grill. 

For your first time, I'd recommend searing first:  I'd start with a mostly full chimney of coals, dump it out, and let the grate get hot for a minute or two.  Then put the chops right over the hot side for maybe 2 minutes (if your chops are nice and thick), then turn the piece 90 degrees to get some nice sear marks for another minute or so.  Go maybe half that time for thinner cuts.  Then flip them, repeating the procedure.  When the second side is seared, move them off of the direct heat to the cooler side of the grill.  With your lid down, you'll prolly have the equivalent of a 400 degree convection oven, so don't leave them on too long.  When they feel like they are firming up, check their temp with a meat thermometer inserted in the edge of the meat to the center mass of the chop (just pick up the meat with your tongs to aid in this maneuver).  You're looking for 140 internal for a finished temp (the new USDA standard that has been standard in the restaurant industry for years).  Make sure you rest your chops for 5 minutes or so before serving (this is really important).

If you're really nervous about this, hedge your bet.  Practice on one chop, rest it, and give it a taste.  Then cook one or more, and so you go.  If your fire gets cool, add some more (lit) coals, but you should be good to cook for at least 30 minutes I would think.
One of the charcoal people.

heart of coal

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »
which pork chops?  center cut chops? 

cut some relief cuts on the edges so they dont curl when you cook them.  i dont go by time.  i either do a small cut to take a peek or a use a thermometer.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 06:52:46 PM »
I would reverse sear them. Yes I post that same response all the time but in this case you will be able to cook a cut of meat that is notorious for being dry if overcooked. Use a thermometer ...even if you don't reverse sear it.  Remember that the meat will still be cooking after you pull it off.....use a thermometer! Don't guess, use a thermometer and don't stress! :)
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
pork chops on 22.5 otg
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:38:26 PM »
The visual que will be some white fat start to come bubble to the top. I'm a direct heat then indirect heat/roast guy. I'm sure the reverse sear will work great too.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 02:38:11 AM »
I go to 138-140 degrees on pork.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 07:03:58 AM »
I use reverse sear all the time on tri tips and they come out perfect. I usually use reverse sear or direct cooking for pork chops. Either way it's based on the thickness of the chops. Thin ones direct, thick ones indirect then sear.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

ligrill

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:01 AM »
they are about 3/4 inch thick - I will try the direct method tonight and post pics!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »
Direct for 3/4 should be fine...the I ones I use are 1&1/2 thick for indirect
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.