Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Let’s See Your Rubs, Spices and Sauces  (Read 280 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Let’s See Your Rubs, Spices and Sauces
« on: March 19, 2022, 10:37:27 AM »
So it’s a slow Saturday here, planning an evening Blackened Salmon cook and I was looking through the rub cabinet (area my wife deemed appropriate for all my seasonings and sauces) for my Cajun seasoning.  To my surprise , I have quite a few more selections than I realized.  Being a photo guy I thought I’d take a couple and share.  What kind of seasonings do you all stock and recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 10:40:45 AM by bamakettles »

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
Re: Let’s See Your Rubs, Spices and Sauces
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 11:10:45 AM »
Not much to see, but I’ve got a few Oak Ridge rubs I got as a gift -which are super good btw, and a couple Kinder’s seasonings. I use these mostly for low-temp smoking. For medium heat bbq I like fresh herbs and singles like garlic or onion powder. For high-heat searing, I just go with coarse Salt and Pepper, as they can take the heat without getting burnt or bitter.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:21:56 AM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 11:19:00 AM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:22:20 AM by stillgriller »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »

Not much to see, but I’ve got a few Oak Ridge rubs I got as a gift -which are super good btw, and a couple Kinder’s seasonings. I use these mostly for low-temp smoking. For medium heat bbq I like fresh herbs and singles like garlic or onion powder. For high-heat searing, I just go with coarse Salt and Pepper, as they can take the heat without getting burnt or bitter.
Very nice!  I’ve probably bought too much into the hype of bbq circuit type rubs.  Sometimes simple is better for sure.  I think my most used out of all these is Cosmos Q SPG which I could of course make myself but I really like the grind and flavor of this one.  I recently tried the Meat Church Honey Hog on chicken thighs and man it was good due to the honey powder.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 11:59:49 AM »

Very nice!  I’ve probably bought too much into the hype of bbq circuit type rubs.  Sometimes simple is better for sure.  I think my most used out of all these is Cosmos Q SPG which I could of course make myself but I really like the grind and flavor of this one.  I recently tried the Meat Church Honey Hog on chicken thighs and man it was good due to the honey powder.

What’s your favorite go-to?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 12:05:44 PM by stillgriller »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 01:08:05 PM »

Depends on what I'm cooking which is probably why I have so many.  Briskets get a more peppery rub like Holy Cow or Gospel.  Ribs get more sweet - my favorite is a base of It's Incredible followed by SNS Grills Rocky's Rub which is salt free.  Wings and thighs get nothing, dirty bird or It's Incredible and recently honey hog.  Pork butt gets lots of whatever I feel like.  I like to dry brine pork butts with kosher salt overnight and add SNS Grills Not Just for Beef which is salt free.  Burgers and steaks get Cosmos Q SPG which is the best all purpose I've found.  We like Red Lobster seasoning on fish unless it's blackened in which case we like It's Incredible Cajun.  Regular It's Incredible is really good on veggies - very lightly.  We really enjoy making different wing sauces and comparing them.  A recent favorite is Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce.  It's really good and can be combined with other things to add spice, sweet or just by itself.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 06:25:30 PM »

Depends on what I'm cooking which is probably why I have so many.  Briskets get a more peppery rub like Holy Cow or Gospel.  Ribs get more sweet - my favorite is a base of It's Incredible followed by SNS Grills Rocky's Rub which is salt free.  Wings and thighs get nothing, dirty bird or It's Incredible and recently honey hog.  Pork butt gets lots of whatever I feel like.  I like to dry brine pork butts with kosher salt overnight and add SNS Grills Not Just for Beef which is salt free.  Burgers and steaks get Cosmos Q SPG which is the best all purpose I've found.  We like Red Lobster seasoning on fish unless it's blackened in which case we like It's Incredible Cajun.  Regular It's Incredible is really good on veggies - very lightly.  We really enjoy making different wing sauces and comparing them.  A recent favorite is Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce.  It's really good and can be combined with other things to add spice, sweet or just by itself.

That’s quite a variety that keeps it interesting. I’ll branch out once a I have some of my methods down, Right now I’m lucky if it don’t burn :)