Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Killa-Grilla first cook!  (Read 350 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Killa-Grilla first cook!
« on: December 17, 2021, 01:58:17 PM »
Am I impressed? Is the Pope Catholic?
This KG grate is bloody awesome! Grilled up some Prime NY Stips, and wow, so juicy, so tender. Melt in your mouth. These might be the best steaks we have ever had...anywhere, at anytime. Better than a high dollar ($$$) restaurant.

Here are a couple photos. And yes, we dry age these in the fridge for 36 hours. It really makes a big difference.

2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Killa-Grilla first cook!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2021, 03:16:09 PM »
Looks incredibrew! Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2021, 06:10:19 PM »
Those grates look like the real deal. I just ordered the SNS grate for my 26. Wondering if I made the wrong choice.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2021, 06:45:26 PM »
Looks incredibrew! Well done.

Well, actually medium rare! ;)
Thanks. These were tasty!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 06:46:44 PM »
Those grates look like the real deal. I just ordered the SNS grate for my 26. Wondering if I made the wrong choice.

All I can say is I am so glad we bought this grate! Don't know why I waited so long.

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 03:44:09 AM »
KillerGrilla grate upgrade is the best money spent. You can pass them down in your will.

And I love dry aging. Plus the fact you can do it with one or three steaks. I place them on a rack or some chop sticks in the refrigerator over night or two.

Looks grate and enjoy the new grate!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 05:04:01 AM »
Those steaks look amazing.  After you get used to the KG grates the regular kind seem so thin and flimsy.  Not knocking the regular ones, but these are a step up. 

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 06:15:38 AM »
Those steaks look amazing.  After you get used to the KG grates the regular kind seem so thin and flimsy.  Not knocking the regular ones, but these are a step up. 

I wish a picture of the steaks was taken prior to grilling. We bought these at Sam's. Prime USDA. But...these were unusual, looking exactly like Japanese Wagyu Beef. The marbling was so heavy. Crazy heavy, with many small veins of fat running through the meat. I had not seen this before on any American beef. As soon as I saw these in the meat case, they were snatched up. I knew they would be good!

The steaks were cooked to medium rare, with one being closer to medium. These literally melted in our mouth. Each bite was an explosion of juiciness, and flavor.

Yes, after using the KG grates, everything else, even my Weber GBS Grates, seem flimsy.
Grill marks are of little concern to me personally, but the KG grates do a very nice job. I could have gone for the classic "cross hatch" pattern, but my primary concern was not over cooking the steaks.

1MoreFord

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2021, 09:22:37 PM »
FlyGuy, Your steaks look awesome, however let me offer a suggestion it you've never tried it before.  Dry brine the steaks with salt and let it soak in.  It can elevate substandard steaks a grade or two.  Don't need to do it as long as your aging.  I allow 15 minutes of brine time per 1/4" of thickness.  Try it sometime to reach another plateau.
Joe

Falcon MK V gas grill, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG,  Weber 22" OTG

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 03:00:23 AM »
FlyGuy, Your steaks look awesome, however let me offer a suggestion it you've never tried it before.  Dry brine the steaks with salt and let it soak in.  It can elevate substandard steaks a grade or two.  Don't need to do it as long as your aging.  I allow 15 minutes of brine time per 1/4" of thickness.  Try it sometime to reach another plateau.

Thanks! Yes, we have tried a couple variations on this...

Dry age in the fridge for 24-36 hours, no seasoning added.

Dry age in the fridge, with salt & pepper, for 24-36 hours.

If no seasoning was added during the dry aging, we then add salt & pepper to the steaks, and let them sit at room temp for an hour before grilling.

We have found that the dry aging really makes a difference. Both in tenderness, and flavor.

Grambo1976

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 06:54:36 AM »
Greetings everyone,

I have been searching for dry aging process on steaks in "search"   I cant seem to find directions  (Could be I am not typing in the correct "keywords" in search) or the amounts of salt to use....  Is garlic salt acceptable ?

Will someone point me in the right directions. I am new and looking to learn all that I can in the WKC.   Thanks in advance !

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »
Greetings everyone,

I have been searching for dry aging process on steaks in "search"   I cant seem to find directions  (Could be I am not typing in the correct "keywords" in search) or the amounts of salt to use....  Is garlic salt acceptable ?

Will someone point me in the right directions. I am new and looking to learn all that I can in the WKC.   Thanks in advance !

36 to 48 hours in your fridge, in the coldest spot. Make sure plenty of air can circulate.
You can season if you wish at this time. Simple Salt & Pepper. Be liberal in the application, especially if it is a thick cut.