Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Who got you into Webers?  (Read 1550 times)

JayCee

• WKC Brave
Who got you into Webers?
« on: November 05, 2021, 03:10:17 PM »
Hi All, just sitting in my pit yard with a lamb smoking away and I was thinking about how my Weber obsession as well as low and slow BBQ started for me.

About 10 years ago, in a previous job, my boss was talking about Weber’s quite a bit and bringing in some great food. Before too long I had bought my first kettle and the rest as they say is history.

So a big shoutout to @Kendoll for planting the seed. Also special mentions to @Golly and @Hogsy who I reunited with shortly after and for subsequently feeding my addiction.

Cheers.
JC

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 03:12:43 PM by JayCee »

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
Re: Who got you into Webers?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 06:07:09 PM »
I started on one of those square grills years ago. Around 04’ I bought a little Smokey Joe, inspired by an older guy at my church that had Weber kettles…I soon upgraded to a 22”….and the rest is just grown from there.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 06:54:55 AM »
My dad always had a Weber.   Interestingly, his first was a gas kettle.   He got a gen 1 red Genesis after it. Coincidentally, my mom is from Memphis, TN, so I’ve had exposure to good bbq since an early age. 

Anyhow, I bought my first kettle in 2000, and switched to a Genesis for years when we had kids.  Got back into charcoal in 2013 and in this club since 2017.   It’s been weberitis since.   I love it.   It’s how I relax.  I appreciate this club immensely.  Many good friends made.  Grate fellowship! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65Westy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 07:43:12 AM »
My dad, i guess. We had a weber when i was a kid that we used in the backyard. 

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 04:33:35 PM »
Me, well I randomly came across a
Redhead few years back that caused me to do some digging to find out more info, only because I was used to seeing black kettles. I came here and asked some
?s and as the rest will say…… is history . It’s become a hobby, collection , and passion. I truly love the hunt and sometimes
Helping friends who need to know the rules of the road when it comes
To the best charcoal grill there is !!!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 06:33:02 AM »
A long time friend of mine has always had a kettle, he isn't a collector or anything, his uncle just happens to live near the weber factory and brings him a new kettle every few years.

I have built and cooked on many charcoal pits and various stick burners over the years, and was searching the internet for new methods/recipes whenever I kept coming across all of these crazy cooks on kettles. Neither my buddy or I ever knew the true versatility of the Weber Kettle until i stumbled upon this group.

I begged my wife to let me get another grill (which I already had 4 of), she of course said NO. Then my buddy happen to find an old AA code 18" kettle cleaning out his granfathers garage and gave it to me. The wife couldn't complain against free and after a ton of successful cooks and smokes on my little kettle she was convinced that i needed a mastertouch 22" and the rest has been history.

All of my other beloved pits and stick burners now sit covered, collecting dust as I keep adding to Weber Kettle collection [emoji1]

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 02:58:50 PM »
for me it was @Jeff
I wanted to get my first weber and i wanted a red one, because that's what my dad had

Jeff had like 7 different colors back in the TVWB days and i *knew* that I needed to have a colorful collection to cook on

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 09:11:05 PM »
My stepdad had a kettle. My dad got a Genesis redhead around ‘96/‘97. My mom and stepdad got me my first Smokey Joe around 2008 for Christmas. Being clueless, I figured if I wanted to eat now, just pour more lighter fluid on it and big flames. Food was AWFUL and quickly lost interest.

Tax returns 2017, I got the Jones for a grill and got looking at Weber’s, it was the only brand I shopped. Figured I had the money then so got a Spirit E330 with side burner. Got curious about charcoal and dug the SJ out and watched YouTube a lot and got a chimney and haven’t looked back. Got my Red LE in 2018, Summit Charcoal 2019, and then dove off the cliff last year to now with the Glen Blue, Spring Green, Deep Ocean Blue, Sequoia, Smokefire, and looking constantly for older kettles.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 12:48:54 AM »
Nobody helped me get into Webers, but I sure as hell could use somebody’s help getting out!
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 12:01:25 PM »
Best regards,
Jan

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 05:24:27 PM »
My Dad,
Back in 1985 :-)

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=35441.msg357194#msg357194

Dads, A big influence on Weber use.

I can remember my Dad using a kettle beginning in the  1960's. He made his own chimneys from Folgers cans and bailing wire.

When my wife and I got married in 1985, I bought a Smokey Joe and burned a lot  of chicken. When we later bought our first house in 1985, Dad called me and said: "I'm going to buy a couple of barbecues, do you want black or red". I said "red", and he hung up. And brought over the red kettle the next day and told me "You put it together."

That kettle has been through a lot of "incidents", but it still cooks like a champ.

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 02:44:25 PM »
Hmm... probably Steven Raichlen as I saw him cooking with a whole brigade of Weber grills on his Barbecue University TV show which was one of the first things that really inspired me to start cooking and collecting! BTW if anyone has any episodes of the show anywhere (as they're strangely really hard to find these days) let me know, as that would be really appreciated. :)
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 05:21:32 AM »
Hmm... probably Steven Raichlen as I saw him cooking with a whole brigade of Weber grills on his Barbecue University TV show which was one of the first things that really inspired me to start cooking and collecting! BTW if anyone has any episodes of the show anywhere (as they're strangely really hard to find these days) let me know, as that would be really appreciated. :)
Those were grate shows !
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captainhook455

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 09:02:39 AM »
I am on a motorcycle forum and a fellow named Bbally who posted a lot and I enjoyed his posts mentioned this kettle club. So I followed him over here and joined. Fast forward a couple years of me lurking for chicken and beef recipes and a neighbor allows their dog to roam the neighborhood. The dog comes to my house to eat the outside cats food so I lowered the charcoal grate in my square grill for a 9X12 baking pan full of dry catfood. The dog can't access the food, but I got to thinking if I start a bed of charcoal one of the cats might get burnt feet.

Well I am in a kettle club and I have been reading for years about the different types so the next logical step is to buy a kettle. Thanks guys for helping me decide.[emoji3]

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 07:52:40 PM »
Nobody helped me get into Webers, but I sure as hell could use somebody’s help getting out!

Sorry, but there's no exit doors here ;)
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...