Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Travelin' Weber Blues  (Read 423 times)

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
Travelin' Weber Blues
« on: October 08, 2021, 06:59:45 PM »
My mid-80s 22'' "Grandpa's Hatchet" Weber travels all summer with me to various 2 wheeled events.

This has required a number of modifications to the Weber.

One problem that continues to stump me, however, is securing the Weber without bending the part of the legs that the axle passes through.

The ride in my trailer can be rough, and I normally rachet down the Weber snugly, as an overturned BBQ is a messy thing indeed.

But, the tension of the rachet strap and the rough ride combine to bend the leg tabs...often popping off one wheel.

Lately, I have fashioned a wood brace under the axle.  This, when strapped down, gets the wheels off the trailer floor and places the load across the entire axle.  See pix.

I still need to secure the lid, and the garganta rubber bands seem to work.  See pix 2.

But, do one of you have a better nondestructive way to secure a Weber during travel?  If so, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 03:27:13 AM by Andyinlz »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Travelin' Weber Blues
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 05:39:30 AM »
Flip it. 

Grab a couple foam float tubes or foam pipe insulation to line the rim of both the lid and the bowl.  Put down both grates and the empty ash catcher first, and then the lid over them.  Then the inverted bowl on top of the lid.  The foam tubes will keep your lid and bowl separated and will take the compression when you’re ratcheting it all down. 

I’ve applied the shorty mod to my traveling kettles too. 

29tx

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 07:46:09 AM »
Throw a trash bag over the bottom before you flip it, it'll cut down on the mess. I bought a box of contractor bags similar to the ones below and moved a 26er in my 2dr car, disassembled of course. They work pretty well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HUSKY-42-Gal-Contractor-Bags-50-Count-HK42WC050B/202973825

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
There's only one way...

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 01:44:02 AM »
There's only one way...

Somebody bought their grills at Costco….go big or go home.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.