Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18" Kettle Mods questions  (Read 957 times)

acast285

• WKC Brave
18" Kettle Mods questions
« on: October 08, 2021, 01:52:15 PM »
Just curious if i could put ashpan assembly on a modern one touch 18" kettle?

I am also interested if i could put a lid bail on one as well?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: 18" Kettle Mods questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 05:55:48 AM »
Yes, the ash catcher assembly should be an easy fit.  The lid bail assembly will require drilling.  You could use the fixed lid bail from a One-Touch Platinum (the one with the plastic table), or a locking lid bail from a jumbo Joe (though you’ll need the locking lid handle too).  Sorry I don’t have part numbers at my fingertips.  But yes, both mods are easily doable.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 06:51:38 AM »
Thanks!

Is there an ash catcher assembly for just the 18"?

Does the OTP lid bail for a 22" work for the 18"?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
18" Kettle Mods questions
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 07:04:58 AM »
Yes, there is a smaller ash catcher specifically for the 18.

I have seen another member bend a 22” lid bail to fit an 18” bowl, but I don’t have personal experience.

Edit: consider the slide-aside lid holder, great accessory that fits every size kettle, plus no drilling.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 07:08:06 AM by Mr.CPHo »

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 10:09:47 AM »
Thanks!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 05:16:18 PM »
I think I read somewhere that you can use mastertouch legs on an 18" kettle to make it taller, but couldn't find the thread.

Can anyone confirm?

Also, I have been eyeing the SNS for the 18" kettle, but the photos from the website make it look like it takes up about half of the grill space and I was curious if it was too big or any users here that have an opinion?

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 05:44:09 PM »
I think I read somewhere that you can use mastertouch legs on an 18" kettle to make it taller, but couldn't find the thread.

Can anyone confirm?

Also, I have been eyeing the SNS for the 18" kettle, but the photos from the website make it look like it takes up about half of the grill space and I was curious if it was too big or any users here that have an opinion?
I have the SnS grill basket for the 18 and it does take up half the useable cook space.   It’s a nice, quality charcoal basket, but I personally hesitate to recommend it for the 18 because it uses too much space in many circumstances.   I prefer a single Weber basket for most two zone cooks.  I ended up using it on my 22s as an extra basket.  Your mileage may vary.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »

Can anyone confirm?

I have the SnS grill basket for the 18 and it does take up half the useable cook space.   It’s a nice, quality charcoal basket, but I personally hesitate to recommend it for the 18 because it uses too much space in many circumstances.   I prefer a single Weber basket for most two zone cooks.  I ended up using it on my 22s as an extra basket.  Your mileage may vary.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah that's exactly what I was afraid of, if it were to cover, say 1/3 of the grill it would be perfect, but I guess I'll move forward with my bro and sear plans. Thanks @michaelmilitello

tvt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 10:00:48 PM »

Can anyone confirm?

I modded my 18 inch Sam Adams by adding a lid bale from a 22 inch grill, ash catcher assembly, and master touch legs with the radio flyer wheels.

Feel free to reach out for any details. Nice thing about the mods for me was everything was from my parts pile except the ash catcher. I also ended up painting the ash catcher flat black.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 06:54:53 AM »
Wow looks great, love the table too!

I've added the lid bail and ashcatcher as well, but what I didn't account for, was that the lid bail increases the diameter of the kettle and the 18" weber cover won't fit any more. I am currently using a cover from a 22" but it drags on the ground and gets caught under the wheels. So figured I could make the kettle taller for the cover and for convenience.

tvt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 05:23:18 PM »
Nice trio. Does the 22 and 26 have dual thermometers?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 05:26:27 PM »
Yes sir 3" and 5" respectively