Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Greetings From Chicago (North Suburbs)  (Read 192 times)

Packin Heat

• Smokey Joe
Greetings From Chicago (North Suburbs)
« on: August 25, 2021, 04:19:53 AM »
Recently sold my Primo XL and have been refurbishing and rediscovering my beloved Weber kettle. Deep clean, new grates, new ash sweep, leg extension mod, temp gauge, and converted my baskets to a bro n sear. This grill is mid 2000's. I will find the date stamp eventually and figure it out. I look forward to learning from the knowledge base here and maybe making a small contribution here and there. Cheers.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Greetings From Chicago (North Suburbs)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2021, 04:33:00 AM »
Welcome from Doraville, Ga. plenty of awesome folks here willing to share info !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2021, 04:39:07 AM »
Welcome from Virginia Beach, VA.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2021, 05:30:43 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, AL.  Very cool and fun to fix up one you've had for some time.  Enjoy!

Packin Heat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2021, 05:51:04 AM »
Thanks gents. Checking the age guide here I have code "DT" which is 2003. Lid handle welded on and no heat shield. Light gray plastic handles with no tool hooks. Everything else is current I think?

Oh, friction leg inserts no clips.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 05:55:13 AM by Packin Heat »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 06:27:32 AM »
Similar story, I have a 2006 basic model that I used for 13 years without doing much to it other than replacing the cooking grate every once in a while.  After fixing it up a couple years back the Weber bug bit me and it's been a great hobby ever since.  I've learned so much from this group about Weber Kettles and how to cook on them.  You'll not find a better bunch of guys and gals willing to help with any questions you may have.  I look forward to seeing a cook or two on your kettle!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:22:09 AM by bamakettles »

Packin Heat

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 06:49:37 AM »
BamaKettles-
I got my Primo in 2011 so this poor kettle got used and abused for about 7 years. I did nothing more than cook and empty ashes. Then it sat outside covered for about 10 years. I used it for rotisserie chickens a few times a year and thats about it. It was actually fun restoring and cleaning it up. Maybe fun is the wrong word. Satisfying. Also finding some accessories that didn't exist back then. I'm not new to bbq or Weber but I certainly have lots of room to learn. Its cool that others have had a similar experience. I considered getting rid of the Kettle but something down deep said nah...keep it. So glad I did. I like it more than I would a new one. We've bonded lol.

jarryd

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 08:11:39 AM »
Welcome from down under[emoji1037]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 08:16:12 AM »
Welcome from Missouri!
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.