Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I would have never believed it...  (Read 4011 times)

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
I would have never believed it...
« on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »
...if someone, told me a year ago, heck two months ago, that charcoal cooking was as good as this, I'd have said no way. Not to sound all squishy, but cooking on my OTG is, by far, the best food I have ever cooked in my life.

I have had cheap POS charcoal BBQ's in the past, but this thing blows them all out of the water. Even with my gasser, I haven't gotten results as good as this. I have done steaks, burgers, chops, roasts,beans, scalloped potatoes, whole chickens and what else. The chicken pieces, that I cooked tonight, (which I have always burned to a friggin crisp cooking on anything else) has turned out better than I have ever had, oven, frypan, or BBQ.

Now I realize I'm preachin' to the choir, but holy frigg, this thing is great, even my wife (who was pretty pissed at me for buying the OTG in the first place) says it cooks great.

Problem is,I have my poor Spirit sitting there and I can see, if this keeps up, maybe a For Sale sign in the future? Nah, I don't think I will sell it, won't get much for it anyway especially if someone like you bunch of tightwads comes to look at it. ;D

I was thinking, before I bought the OTG, of maybe getting a WSM, but now I can't see that being all that necessary. Maybe if one comes by really cheap, or maybe make a mini WSM, but for now this OTG is the bomb baby.
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 03:44:56 PM »
Colin I agree with u. I grilled too long on pos grills both charcoal and gas. Once I grilled on the weber I was hooked. My family doesn't even really want to go out for dinner anymore.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Re: I would have never believed it...
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:47:26 PM »
Colin...we know EXACTLY what you mean!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 03:58:56 PM »
Colin, it always starts with your first kettle, then your hooked! The flavor, the control the workability, the kettle shape, the colors, the flavor....

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
Right on, Colin!  Glad you're having such great success.  Please share your recipes and techniques, and of course photos.

...and don't sell you gas grill-- they make great wind-breaks on breezy days, and are a great place to store accessories for your charcoal cooking.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
I agree with everything except the WSM part.  I ~love~ that thing!
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:33:03 PM »
I love my wsm's. I've been Webering for years but I've never used a kettle for low and slow. I'm trying it for the first time this weekend!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
I love my wsm's. I've been Webering for years but I've never used a kettle for low and slow. I'm trying it for the first time this weekend!
You are in for a treat and they use much less fuel.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
Cheers Colin that's what a weber is all about. Can't disagree with any of it!

Ted my family says the same thing lol if we do go out its always "you could have cooked this better" then I remind her why I have so many grills :-)

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »
I got a free gas grill and I'm thinking I'm gonna put dirt in it and use it as a planter

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
You snobs! Don't get rid of that Spirit, you'll still use it. I use mine on days where I just don't have time to mess with my charcoals or when I need it done fast before the rain comes down.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
You snobs! Don't get rid of that Spirit, you'll still use it. I use mine on days where I just don't have time to mess with my charcoals or when I need it done fast before the rain comes down.

Hey I don't even have gas  ???

Well, not that kind anyway..  :P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:26:22 PM by Craig »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
You are in for a treat and they use much less fuel.

Interesting on the fuel. I've never thought too much of it but ill keep that in mind.  :)
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:46:24 AM »
I hear you Colin! I try to tell people of my findings, too. They don't listen.

Everything they make on their gasser is just fantastic ... according to them. To each their own, eh.

My gasser gets used 2-3 times a year now ... to warm up ribs I cooked on the kettle or drum smoker ... and the occasional baked potato.  :)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:55:35 AM »

Hey I don't even have gas  ???

Well, not that kind anyway..  :P

I gave away my longtime Ducane gasser to some friends with young kids and no time to mess with charcoal. They only had a smoker joe.  The guy that was using that grill is 6 ft 6.  An SJ is not a good option for him.

Weber kettles with a load of charcoal are the real deal for great food.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado