Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Lump: B&B vs Cowboy  (Read 516 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Lump: B&B vs Cowboy
« on: July 03, 2021, 01:45:06 PM »
Just grilled two steaks, one over B&B and one over Cowboy.

The Cowboy was more consistent in size, lit much easier, was ready to cook much faster, and burned much cleaner, i.e., almost zero smoke.

As far as flavor goes...not sure, but both steaks were very good.

This is a single data point, so your experience may differ.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
Re: Lump: B&B vs Cowboy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 02:28:36 PM »
I've had mixed results with Cowboy. But B&B has always been top notch in my book.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 07:28:37 PM »
I've had mixed results with Cowboy. But B&B has always been top notch in my book.

Maybe I got a bad bag?

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 06:16:51 AM »
Too bad Weber's not in the mix. In the U.S., They're part of that new "Cancel Culture," when is comes to their charcoal briquettes, yet still offers it to the rest of the world!

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
What about lump? Versus B&B?

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »

Too bad Weber's not in the mix. In the U.S., They're part of that new "Cancel Culture," when is comes to their charcoal briquettes, yet still offers it to the rest of the world!

Yeah wonder why they pulled out of the market. Sucks that the only charcoal left here in Santa Maria is some Royal Oak. Which, btw, are briquettes on the wain?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 06:17:16 AM »
I recently got a couple big bags of Cowboy from Costco and B&B from Ace when it was on sale. Both yielded great result, I grill steaks often on Friday nights and all attempts using both brands were delicious and easy to work with, but I will say that B&B had larger and more consistent pieces of lump that was quite noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 10:13:28 AM »
I recently got a couple big bags of Cowboy from Costco and B&B from Ace when it was on sale. Both yielded great result, I grill steaks often on Friday nights and all attempts using both brands were delicious and easy to work with, but I will say that B&B had larger and more consistent pieces of lump that was quite noticeable.

Interesting...because my bag of B&B had many small pieces, while the Cowboy had large chunks.
And, the Cowboy lit fast, and was ready to grill long before the B&B. Plus the Cowboy was pretty much smoke-free, burning much cleaner.

watkinsb87

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 03:27:47 PM »

Interesting...because my bag of B&B had many small pieces, while the Cowboy had large chunks.
And, the Cowboy lit fast, and was ready to grill long before the B&B. Plus the Cowboy was pretty much smoke-free, burning much cleaner.
My last B&B bag was very disappointing. 3 massive chunks and a bunch of pieces that fall through the grate. Took forever to light. I have an unopened bag of cowboy lump that I’ll be trying out this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 05:12:09 PM »
Just grilled two nice Rib-Eyes, over a bed of Cowboy lump.

It was the bottom of the bag, so I expected some smaller pieces. It lit up real fast, burned hot and clean. The steaks turned out good, very good.

WVKettle

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 10:05:29 PM »
I have used Cowboy too with good results.  I have some Best of the West Hardwood Lump Charcoal that I have used a couple of times as well.  Where can you get B&B in WV?   

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 05:10:06 AM »

I have used Cowboy too with good results.  I have some Best of the West Hardwood Lump Charcoal that I have used a couple of times as well.  Where can you get B&B in WV?
Locally in Alabama Ace Hardware and Academy Sports has it.  You might check there if you have those stores in WV.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »
I won't buy B&B lump now. Grilled two NY Strips last night, over Cowboy Lump.

My wife and I agree...these may have been the best steaks ever to come off our kettle!

What I like about Cowboy:

1. Starts fast.
2. Burns hot!
3. Burns clean.