Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Homemade bacon  (Read 365 times)

avega2792

• WKC Brave
Homemade bacon
« on: June 22, 2021, 05:45:04 AM »
I’ve made bacon at home since this past winter since I could easily cold smoke it in the Chicago winter, but have since switched to curing with hickory smoked sea salt (also homemade) and it’s the best bacon I’ve ever had. It’s easier since I can smoke salt year round and the flavor is still top notch! I tried hot smoked bacon and I wasn’t a fan so I’m stoked I can still make great bacon even in the warmer months.

1 tbsp smoked salt
1 tsp celery seed (or curing salt measured for weight)
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp smoked paprika

All measured ingredients are per pound. Cure in a vacuum sealed bag for 2-3 weeks, turn over daily so liquid can evenly cure pork belly. After curing period allow an equal amount of time to rest, the longer it rests the better the end product will be. Slice and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Homemade bacon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 06:13:01 AM »
damn that's good looking bacon !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 06:24:31 AM »

damn that's good looking bacon !!

It’s delicious and I’m not just being biased because I made it. I’m still learning the process. I made this batch about a month ago but I made the mistake of sampling it straight after curing and it was borderline inedible and didn’t look or even taste like bacon either, but it rested for a couple weeks and now it’s amazing! My dad raises hogs in California for fun so he wants to try making some too. I’m out here for a visit and he’s learning a thing or two from me ;)

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:51:31 AM »
Man that would be amazing on a BLT…. 🤤

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 04:22:57 AM »
Looks awesome.  My brine is similar.  I sometimes use a little water and maple syrup for sweetness.   A shot of bourbon adds a interesting hint of smokiness. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 05:47:56 AM »
Looks awesome!  Thanks for sharing that technique.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 06:33:49 AM »
Bacon looks awesome! You’ll have bring some to the Chicago wkc meetup.

Over the years I’ve wet & dry cured pork bellies, pork loin, pork shanks  and pork shoulder with Prague #1.  I’ve researched using celery seeds and celery juice powder. Thou I’ve never used either.

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »

Bacon looks awesome! You’ll have bring some to the Chicago wkc meetup.

Over the years I’ve wet & dry cured pork bellies, pork loin, pork shanks  and pork shoulder with Prague #1.  I’ve researched using celery seeds and celery juice powder. Thou I’ve never used either.

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers

Definitely will bring some to the meet up. I’m visiting family and brought about 3 lbs with thinking it would last a good couple weeks, but it was almost all gone by the second day!

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2021, 01:28:37 PM »

Looks awesome.  My brine is similar.  I sometimes use a little water and maple syrup for sweetness.   A shot of bourbon adds a interesting hint of smokiness. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m smoking more salt as soon as I get back home and making another batch. I’ll have to try it with some bourbon, thanks for the tip!

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 01:29:06 PM »

Man that would be amazing on a BLT…. 🤤

I love me a good blt!