Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How much charcoal do you use?  (Read 11366 times)

Duke

• The Duke
How much charcoal do you use?
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:04:56 PM »
I am somewhat of a charcoal miser. I use a basket that saves quite a bit of charcoal in a year. I just shake it and top it off again before a cook. I always shut the grill down tight after each cook and one bag of BK or lump goes really far. A #20 sack will last me about two weeks if I cook about four to six days per week. I see some people buying pallets and going through tons, so I was wondering how everyone else uses their charcoal. What are your techniques and do you even try and ration or just let it burn?

Here's how my grill (26'r pictured) typically looks before a cook. I then shake it out and top it off. How much I add depends on what I am cooking. This is actually oak lump that's in it right now. These are large pieces and I just made the basket that takes up about half of the charcoal grate.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:07:34 PM by Duke »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: How much charcoal do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:18 PM »
Shaun I have a big steel garbage can where I dump all my coals, hot or cold. I then pick out the ones that can be reused and combine them with some new. Try to get all the use I can outta my Stubbs.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
I go through about 20# a month. I don't grill as often as smoke and probably only average one cook a week. I always leave the unburnt in the cooker to use for next time.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
Shaun I have a big steel garbage can where I dump all my coals, hot or cold. I then pick out the ones that can be reused and combine them with some new. Try to get all the use I can outta my Stubbs.
Thanks Terry, can I see the can? By the way, I relight with a torch to save a step. This way I don't have to transfer the leftovers to a chimney. With the basket I shake it, top it, torch it and cook on it.

Okay back to church. I will check back later. :)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 04:45:14 PM »
I usually shut down everything down after each cook as well. Then shake the ash and reuse the coals left. I round up what's left between the grills and add them too one grill and add hot coals over top. I try to save as much as possible to not waste money. I bought 10 bags (200 lbs) of blue bag today to hopefully hold me over till the Labor Day sales.

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 05:35:24 PM »
Pretty similar to you, Duke.  Shut it down, shake it out, add fresh to the top, and light with the Performer. 
On the WSM, I typically don't have anything left worth saving (after a butt) so I'll let er' burn out.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 05:58:53 PM »
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
I have a plastic garbage can that can hold a little more than 60 pounds of Kingsford, I have been grilling a lot as of late ....maybe 5 nights a week and on the weekends it has been more than once a day....it takes me a couple of weeks to go thought the whole can. I also rarely use a whole chimney at a time....only when I cook burgers or pizza and I need max heat. Most of the time I will only use maybe 3/4 of a chimney  or less to get a temp of around 350 degrees. I also shut the grill down as soon as whatever I am cooking/baking comes off and will use what's left over for the next cook. I do use MUCH less charcoal since I stopped using my horizontal smoker/grill, the Weber is so much more efficient and my Char-griller was basically use the charcoal for one cook only...the leftover would burn away, no way to shut out all the airflow.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »
Lump I shut it down and reuse

Kingsford blue I will usually let it burn to ash, it gives me nice heat to season my cast iron grates.  I feel briquettes loose a lot of integrity once they have been fired up.  Lump seems to keep its integrity.

Mind you I am a miser of misers when it comes to most thing, when I first started I saved everything,  not I feel the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »
I am a miser as well, and when using the kettles I shut it down when doen to preserve coal.  I relight the previous briqs at my next cook, then add new fuel.

When using a WSM, I typically let it burn out unless there is a large amount when I am done cooking.

90% or more of my fuel is KBB. I usel lump when I have it, and when I am doing pizza.

Tough to say how much I use, but I would throw an estimate of less than 10 pounds per week, cooking 3-4 times a week. 

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
I just burn a shitload all the time.  I feel like the blue k is practically ash before it has even turned gray.  I also feel like I can never keep lump going.  It seems like I need a big pile of lump for it to stay lit.  I say fuck it and burn a ton of charcoal all the time.  Personally I see no reason to try to ration these tiny morsels of coal.  They practically give away blue k at the holidays so go buy $50 worth of coal on sale and be done with it...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 01:55:14 PM »
I just burn a shitload all the time.  I feel like the blue k is practically ash before it has even turned gray.  I also feel like I can never keep lump going.  It seems like I need a big pile of lump for it to stay lit.  I say fuck it and burn a ton of charcoal all the time.  Personally I see no reason to try to ration these tiny morsels of coal.  They practically give away blue k at the holidays so go buy $50 worth of coal on sale and be done with it...

I am with Brian. I usually mix some rancher briquettes with lump. When I fire up the 26, I use two chimneys. I would rather have too much to start with than running low during a cook. I do reuse what is left over, but I never skimp on fuel.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »

I actually would not say I even try to "ration" it, it is just easier that way:  Shut vents when done, light the charcoal that is already sitting on the grate next time I grill.   A miser by convenience I guess.  Point being, I don't feel the need to stock up on charcoal in a quantity that exceeds the payload of my car.  Makes me feel like a hoarder or something.  What's next, owning  more grills than I can cook on?

:o

Shrug.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 03:06:11 PM »
I'm a sucker for a bargain so I buy when the price per lb is low. Always lock the grills down and reuse what's left. I try to cook 4-7 times a week if possible and grill year round. Winter time is more like 2-3 times a week. I love grilling and cooking so I try to take full advantage of the opportunities I have.

sparky

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 03:18:08 PM »
I burn a ton too , prob went through 6 or 7 bags this long weekend :o