Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vintage Sequoia Chicken Stir Fry Part II  (Read 3903 times)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
Vintage Sequoia Chicken Stir Fry Part II
« on: July 07, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
So I did this same cook about a year ago and it turned out super.  I figured I'd make a new post since most of you never saw my original unless you went back a year to dig it up. 
I used my Sequoia obviously and the original old Weber wok.  This wok is awesome and heats up REAL fast and REAL hot.   It also gives so much more room to work with the than its successor which is also now discontinued.  I made plenty of leftovers as you can see and even gave my neighbor a ton of it.  They loved it too by the way!

Fire here...

Fire there

My newest partner in training

Starting to heat up

Some photos of the yard with the plants in full bloom...all of you at the Weber Fest missed them....few weeks too soon!

Chicken in

Veggies in

Pasta in

And done...sorry, but no plated pics

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:25:31 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 01:30:50 PM »
That looks good!  That wok is massive. I didn't realize how big the original ones were. As far as the flowers blooming, I don't think I would've noticed them at the meet up with all the grills in the yard. In fact I don't even recognize your backyard without them.:)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: Vintage Sequoia Chicken Stir Fry Part II
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »
Fantastic cook Jeff! It's been a while since I did Chinese. I hope mine comes out half that good when I do. :)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
Nice looking food Jeff - I have been wanting to break-in the Wok that Golly sent me soon. I need to season it, and I hope I will have time this next weekend.
Will get some pointers from you.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 02:33:57 PM »
That looks fantastic Jeff! The food, AND the yard. Good show!

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »
The food and the backyard look great!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
Great looking cook Jeff! That wok looks much bigger than any others I've seen by weber. Sweet sequoia as well!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
Wow that looks great Jeff! Seems those older woks work better than the newer ones I have.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »
Wow that looks great Jeff! Seems those older woks work better than the newer ones I have.

Yup...they are.  I've used them both.  No comparison.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
And I'm officially hungry! Pass me a plate and oh yeah the wok and the Sequoia too.. WOW! That Sequoia never stops being the epitome of cool! I didn't realize how massive the original woks are..

You have a very nice patio and backyard Jeff! Great shape!

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 03:28:49 AM »
Looks good! I've used the wok I picked up at the meetup a couple of times and I've been happy with the results, but I can see how that one would provide better air flow.

Must be, uh... interesting to wash afterwards. I need to take mine into the basement and use the wash tub.
kettles, smokers...

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 03:42:25 AM »
Looks great Jeff. Wish I had known you when I visited Chicago, would have popped in for a stir fry! ;)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 04:50:46 AM »
I had the pleasure of getting up close and personal with the Sequoia during the meet-up.  It told me it wanted to come home with me.  You should listed to the Sequoia... :D

Tasty looking meal Jeff.  THe SS wok I picked up from you will fill the void until I find a vintage one. 

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 06:00:38 AM »
I think the biggest advantage is
1) its heats up much hotter
2) the extra space and height on the sides allows for so much more food in there (with the previous model wok, you need to be careful when you are mixing the food so that it doesn't go over the edge)

In the last photo, that plated bowl didn't look big, but there was at least 20 servings in there.   You could easily cook for a party out of this wok.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 07:05:46 AM »
I agree, mine got really hot and I heard a searing sound whenever I put the next ingredient in. It cooked the same way I would expect the professional ones do. These days I use my paella pan as a wok because I like the way I can control the heat, but it doesn't give the same experience. The cooley pan makes you feel like a real wok chef.