Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wagyu Brisket  (Read 226 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Wagyu Brisket
« on: June 06, 2021, 02:00:36 AM »
After having good success with a USDA Prime brisket last week, went for the Wagyu this time.
It was very, very good! Smoked on the Kettle for 8 hours at 250-255, with pecan and cherry wood. Used B&B charcoal for the snake.

Temp control was a breeze, after the Kettle settled down around 255 it was pretty much hands-off. Very little vent adjustments required to hold the temp.

Pulled the brisket at 165 for wrapping in peach paper. Then final pull at 203, and placed in an foam chest cooler for 5 hours.

Here are some photos...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:03:10 AM by TXFlyGuy »
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Wagyu Brisket
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 05:27:12 AM »
Beautiful brisket!   Could you tell the difference between prime and wagyu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 05:34:30 AM »
Looks really good.  Man those beans look amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 08:14:33 AM »
Beautiful brisket!   Could you tell the difference between prime and wagyu?

Yes, but not what you expect. Both the USDA Prime and the Imperial Wagyu were excellent. As good or better than any BBQ restaurant would serve.

Prime: More juice from the flat, as it had more moisture. Very tender. It passed the bend and pull test.

Wagyu: The point was wicked good! Super juicy, melt in your mouth tender. The flat was less juicy, but still very tender. The Prime flat did better on the bend-test, and pulled easier.

I did a serious trim on the Wagyu, cutting the fat cap down to 1/4". The cap on the Prime was pretty much left intact.
The paper wrap on the Wagyu was much better, as was the temp control.

They were both cooked exactly the same. Two different cows, from different ranches. Just like I have bought USDA Choice Rib-Eyes that were as well marbled as Prime. And I have seen Prime steaks that were not well marbled.

Here was a big difference...the Wagyu rendered a much larger amount of fat, with a lot of oil that collected in the foil. But there was not that much "juice" from the meat. Just the opposite of the prime, with little fat/oil, and lot's of meat juice.

Could tell very little difference in the marbling on these two.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:19:59 AM by TXFlyGuy »

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 08:16:37 AM »
Looks really good.  Man those beans look amazing!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Yes! Those may be my best beans ever! Very simple, just added brown sugar, ketchup, mustard and a little salt. Smoked them under the brisket 6 hours. If you have not tried this, do it at your next BBQ.

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 12:46:32 PM »
Edit: After doing a side-by-side taste test with friends, the Wagyu wins hands down.
Smoother texture, more even grain of the meat, more tender. No "stringiness" at all. Silky smooth.