Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Help me not screw these ribs up  (Read 4973 times)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
Help me not screw these ribs up
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »
I've never made ribs before and I want to notch this on my headboard so to speak. I plan on making them on Monday since I had to take off to watch my 7 month old. So I'll be juggling a cook and a baby at the same time. What could go wrong? Lol.

Anyways, here are the goods, I'll probably only do 1 this first time.

I also have a store bought rub and store bought sauce that I could use. I plan on using apple chips for the smoke. I'm not opposed to making my own rub/sauce but I didn't want to go out and buy a bunch of ingredients my first attempt.

KB will be my fuel source and I want to try the chain method.

I'd like to have this meal ready no later than 5pm as I have to leave for Crossfit by 6. I also want to maybe cut a small section off for my 7 month old so he can have his first ribs sans sauce/rub as I don't want to put him in a sodium coma. I also should be able to document this all during the cook so if you are on the computer monday you'll be able to watch as the magic happens.

This is my plan, point out what I should do different.

I'll remove the membrane from the ribs, then I'll apply the dry rub. Once that is done I'll line up the KB in a nice chain, add apple chips a few spots and start 8-10 briques in the chimney starter. Once those are ready I'll light the chain and put the grate on and let it come to temperature (around 250-300). Once the temp is steady i'll put the ribs on the center of the grate (BONE DOWN???). Now I need more help. When do I sauce it? Do I flip it at all? How long do I let them rest? What time should I actually start all of this to insure that the will be done by 5pm?
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: Help me not screw these ribs up
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:54:50 AM »
Check out my thread here: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/food-pr0n/pork-ribs-on-a-mastertouch/

I would recommend 3-2-1 (so allow about 6 hours), I usually foil at about 2.5 hours  rather than 3 (with some apple juice in the foil, and a little brown sugar on the ribs), then sauce then for about 45 minutes of the last hour.

Takes a bit of work to keep them indirect for the whole time (spin the grate and use foil). I also spray them with apple juice every hour for the first 3 hours.

I don't flip them at all and only rest for about 10 minutes. If by bone down you mean so that they bow 'up', then yes.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:44:20 AM »
Everyone's method will vary a little ... or a lot. If you are juggling a baby, as well, then the KISS method will work just fine.

Apply a thin coating of mustard (mustard slather). Then sprinkle with rub on both sides.
Wrap the rack in Saran wrap. Back into the fridge. The ribs will get a nice "goopy" / saucy look to them while in the fridge.

I do not foil during the cook, or spray every hour. I have done all that, and find it doesn't do much.
It lengthens the time to cook since you are lifting the lid too much.

I sauce usually the last half hour. The bend test is good. I also look for bone recede as another indicator.

Here is a recent thread.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/snake-method/

Hope everything works out. Try not to sweat the temperatures too much. Enjoy, and take notes ... if you can.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »
The snake/chain method is one of the easiest hassle free ways. Simply there can't be too much heat because your not dealing with a whole pile of coals already lit. Those threads listed are great resources.

Just remember for pork you start the snake counter clockwise and beef clockwise. If you start it on the wrong side and lift the handle to the right while the wind is blowing from the northeast at 88 mph as the sun sets, it generates 1.21 gigawatts of power sending you into the future!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »
$7.99lb for baby backs?  :o

3-2-1 is a nice standard method, but *I* believe it's too long for baby backs.  Especially if you're talking 250-300 degrees.  The 7 month old will like them as it'll be the standard mush he's had for a while now.  lol   About the only way to learn --- jump in feet first.  What works for me might not work for you.  Document your process the first time or three and see where adjustments can be made.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:39:51 AM »
$7.99lb for baby backs?  :o

3-2-1 is a nice standard method, but *I* believe it's too long for baby backs.  Especially if you're talking 250-300 degrees.  The 7 month old will like them as it'll be the standard mush he's had for a while now.  lol   About the only way to learn --- jump in feet first.  What works for me might not work for you.  Document your process the first time or three and see where adjustments can be made.

Well, techincally they were $3.98lb since it was buy one get one. ;) I have no idea what is typical for baby back ribs. And my 7 month old never had "standard mush". We have never given him baby food. We give him what we eat (kind of).

:p

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
3-2-1 will be a bit long if you're cooking between 250-300. I'd shoot for a 2-1-1 at those temps and use the bend or toothpick test to see when done.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
+1 on the 2-1-1 method...all my baby back cooks follow that route and turn out just fine.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »
I just cooked the best ribs I've ever eaten.
300 for 1 hour with a dry rub, then mopped every 30 minutes for 2 more hours.
Snake method.
 ;)
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
Do you guys flip ribs?

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
I wrapped mine with apple juice and brown sugar and placed them back meat side down for an hour of the 2 (was more like 1.5). Turned out great.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »
Do you guys flip ribs?

I flipped mine when I mopped them. Mine were so good I'm gonna do them again today. I might even take a pic this time.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:55:53 AM »
The snake/chain method is one of the easiest hassle free ways. Simply there can't be too much heat because your not dealing with a whole pile of coals already lit. Those threads listed are great resources.

Just remember for pork you start the snake counter clockwise and beef clockwise. If you start it on the wrong side and lift the handle to the right while the wind is blowing from the northeast at 88 mph as the sun sets, it generates 1.21 gigawatts of power sending you into the future!

I've got to give this snake method a go. I have haven't done ribs yet either  :-[    But with all the resources here form Ken (Buckie) and everyone else, I'm studying and taking lots of notes..  ;)  Ribs will happen in my house soon and my wife will like it!

When this wind hits 88 MPH, your gonna see some serious shit!  ;)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 09:43:13 AM »
Here's my first go with snake method and ribs too...turned out just fine with no flipping

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/snake-method/
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »

When this wind hits 88 MPH, your gonna see some serious shit!  ;)
[/quote]

Haha nice Craig

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer