Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Deep Ocean Blue Performer Mod  (Read 1599 times)

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Deep Ocean Blue Performer Mod
« on: March 28, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »
Well it's been a while but the bug got me again. I was having the itch to do an upgrade, at first I flirted with the idea of the Kamado S6 but decided against it at the current price level. I already own a WSM 18.5 and 2nd Gen Performer as well. I must say the 2nd Gen is my favorite of what I have been able to acquire. Love the look of it over the newer style, of course my grail would be to find a nice SSP. If that doesn't happen I am fine with the 2nd Gen.

So my quest began to see about upgrading the current setup, I knew I wanted the new table, although my current table is in great shape. I like the look of the newer one, and I assumed it would be easier to clean and not look as nasty between cooks. I also planned on installing the new style lid bail, as a lefty I have dealt with the original for a while, but the new one is amazing!

My other mission was to upgrade the kettle, from the Black one I had to a nicer color. As fate would have it I passed on the Red LE when they  came around because of bad reviews. I should have paid closer attention, and realized that it was corrected. Alas, I missed my chance to have a nice Red Kettle I could have modded for the Performer. Thus began my new search, as luck would have it Weber in recent years has launched many nice colors in the Master Touch lineup, and the one color that is near to my heart is Blue. I tried to get a Blue Performer years back, but when it came in it was more Purple than Blue, a Crate & Barrel edition. So I sent that back and found my 2nd Gen for $125 on Craigslist.

So I arrived at Deep Ocean Blue, watched some videos on Youtube and the color appeared to be perfect. I ordered it from Weber and a few days later it was time to start modding. I wasn't as worried about the handles, as I was going to use my previous kettle to line up the holes with. I matched up the lid bail holes to get me on target. Once I had this done, I proceeded to drill out pilot holes and then enlarge. Pilot holes are CRITICAL when drilling these kettles. It makes it so much easier, and less fearful of messing up the drill location and
porcelain.

Next up was the gas tube, and oh my god if I hadn't found the blog post on adding it on the forums, it would have so been much harder! This was in fact the most difficult part of the operation. I spent more time verifying these measurements than anything else I did that day. Oh and did I mention the handle on the Master Touch is not centered,don't even try to use that as a guide. After an hour it seemed of verifying, I had my marks. My biggest concern was the clearance between the blades and the grate. There is very little room for error where the sweep clearance is concerned.

I learned something along the way and hope it will help others who try this. I tried to use the dremel with cutting blades, but was afraid to over do it and have an air gap. What the I did was to cut out a diamond shape with the tube markings. I then switched over to these shaped grinding stones, I was then able to grind away and test fit until it was perfect. I am sure some of you are more skilled at this than I am, but for me it was much easier to grind away and test.

This was not an easy project, but the end result is amazing. I love the look of the new kettle, and the new features make the upgrade worth while. I love the new cutouts for airflow, and the squeeze release of the new style ash pans. Also included was the warming rack which I have been thinking about for a while. It works well and will get a lot of usage.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:32:27 PM by bthorn9435 »
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Re: Deep Ocean Blue Performer Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 02:17:28 PM »
Another point of note, the table doesn't come with a cable. I was able to reuse my existing but didn't like the way it looked, so
I used a black tie strap. I secured it so it's not visible, this way I could use the clip on the storage bin end. I actually prefer this to
the clip hanging on the kettle end as it's highly visible hanging there. As you know the cable screws on the underside of the older table
for a cleaner appearance. I only had one clip so in my search to figure out how to make it work I came up with this.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 02:22:57 PM by bthorn9435 »
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 04:16:12 AM »
Real good looking Gen 2, nice mod work !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
Beautiful workmanship! I love that color. I have a deep ocean blue MT fitted the new Performer lid holder.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 02:51:05 PM »
That turned out great[emoji482]
Gen II with the upgraded table is my favorite as well.
Do you also have the wider lid bale?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 03:19:06 PM »
Yes, I upgraded the lid bail. As a lefty I cannot believe I didn't do it sooner.
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
Very nice work!  I am with you on the lefty issue.  I upgraded both of my OTPs and I still place the lid on another kettle or the deck when I’m moving food around.  Griddle cooks too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 03:26:07 PM »
Gen II looks awesome with the deep ocean blue kettle!

Nice write up and pictures!

Cheers

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 03:34:08 PM »
@bthorn9435
I tried to PM you,  but your inbox is full.

Are you interested in selling the triangle, wheels and legs from your deep ocean blue? If so, I can provide a prepaid UPS shipping label and cover the packing cost too.

Thanks

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 04:16:58 AM »
That really came out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 06:22:48 PM »
That looks great! The Deep Ocean Blue is definitely my favorite color. I'm toying with the idea of having my 26 porcelain coated.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 10:07:19 AM »
Well it's been a while but the bug got me again. I was having the itch to do an upgrade, at first I flirted with the idea of the Kamado S6 but decided against it at the current price level. I already own a WSM 18.5 and 2nd Gen Performer as well. I must say the 2nd Gen is my favorite of what I have been able to acquire. Love the look of it over the newer style, of course my grail would be to find a nice SSP. If that doesn't happen I am fine with the 2nd Gen.

So my quest began to see about upgrading the current setup, I knew I wanted the new table, although my current table is in great shape. I like the look of the newer one, and I assumed it would be easier to clean and not look as nasty between cooks. I also planned on installing the new style lid bail, as a lefty I have dealt with the original for a while, but the new one is amazing!

My other mission was to upgrade the kettle, from the Black one I had to a nicer color. As fate would have it I passed on the Red LE when they  came around because of bad reviews. I should have paid closer attention, and realized that it was corrected. Alas, I missed my chance to have a nice Red Kettle I could have modded for the Performer. Thus began my new search, as luck would have it Weber in recent years has launched many nice colors in the Master Touch lineup, and the one color that is near to my heart is Blue. I tried to get a Blue Performer years back, but when it came in it was more Purple than Blue, a Crate & Barrel edition. So I sent that back and found my 2nd Gen for $125 on Craigslist.

So I arrived at Deep Ocean Blue, watched some videos on Youtube and the color appeared to be perfect. I ordered it from Weber and a few days later it was time to start modding. I wasn't as worried about the handles, as I was going to use my previous kettle to line up the holes with. I matched up the lid bail holes to get me on target. Once I had this done, I proceeded to drill out pilot holes and then enlarge. Pilot holes are CRITICAL when drilling these kettles. It makes it so much easier, and less fearful of messing up the drill location and
porcelain.

Next up was the gas tube, and oh my god if I hadn't found the blog post on adding it on the forums, it would have so been much harder! This was in fact the most difficult part of the operation. I spent more time verifying these measurements than anything else I did that day. Oh and did I mention the handle on the Master Touch is not centered,don't even try to use that as a guide. After an hour it seemed of verifying, I had my marks. My biggest concern was the clearance between the blades and the grate. There is very little room for error where the sweep clearance is concerned.

I learned something along the way and hope it will help others who try this. I tried to use the dremel with cutting blades, but was afraid to over do it and have an air gap. What the I did was to cut out a diamond shape with the tube markings. I then switched over to these shaped grinding stones, I was then able to grind away and test fit until it was perfect. I am sure some of you are more skilled at this than I am, but for me it was much easier to grind away and test.

This was not an easy project, but the end result is amazing. I love the look of the new kettle, and the new features make the upgrade worth while. I love the new cutouts for airflow, and the squeeze release of the new style ash pans. Also included was the warming rack which I have been thinking about for a while. It works well and will get a lot of usage.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
I love the deep blue kettle color, and the clean lines of the Gen 2 style. The black of the metal table sets of the blue to black contrast very well.
When I did my first metal table it came with the strap for the storage bin ,the second one did not.
Great job on this conversion.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Ken Mc

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 06:49:20 PM »
Hey bthorn... looks amazing!!! i want to make a yellow into a performer, but i can't find the bog for it... cold you assist me?
thanks brother... i've been lookin but  no luck.
Lookin' for a flat top 26"( not black)

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 12:35:10 PM »
 I just love that color so easy to look at, the other one i really like is the one from ACE hardware Burgundy that is my second fav.