Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What's behind lid #1??  (Read 1316 times)

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
What's behind lid #1??
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:52:02 PM »
Well I woke up today to great news... Rain all day long. Today is the 4th of July and this is Murcia, no rain shall stop me today! My deck is not covered and I didn't want to stand all day in the rain. So I got to thinking hey I have two tarps outside, I have rope, a really tall camera crane stand, some PVC pipes and eye hooks.  Using some well let's say southern Ingenuity I fashioned a make shift roof. I pulled the crew in for today's meals. 4 grills got brought up for the task.

First up was lunch, I have a friend that doesn't eat anything grilled *gasp* it's quite insane. No pork, beef or chicken... Well I've been working months to claim the title of getting her to eat something off of a grill. No one has done it yet and she is 22.  Her dad used to grill all the time and I have a feeling something with that may have caused this problem. She states that the smell of a grill makes her toss her lunch.. So I  made her a cheese pizza, from scratch and just how she likes it. I made my wife and I a ham and pineapple.

Her first bite, it was time to get the final outcome everything has lead to this moment.  She eats it, not bad she says! Every bite she takes she likes it more and more, 4 pieces later she is happy as can be! 22 years later a man with a weber has finally conquered the grail of her palette! I feel like Rocky "Adrienne!!"

Well she was heading out later in the afternoon, it's time for the rest of the crew to tag in.

Caution porknography ahead!!

I bought spare ribs last night and have been thinking if them since that point. So I trimmed them down, and made up a rub. I wanted to make one that I documented and wrote down. I checked out amazingribs.com for something new to try. I found the Memphis dust rub and decided that's what I am going to use as a base. It's a really good rub, but no heat and just lacking a little bit for me. So I doctored it up and made my changes. I will post it in the recipe section later on. 

I didn't get pics of the before rubbed down ribs. But here is the crew setup ready to go.

Homer with cherry

Little red rooster with hickory

Started counterclockwise for extra flavor ;-)

I also tried some beans in the basement on the homer, it got the trimmed down ribs while little red got the chain and extras pieces of ribs.

Here's the first sneak peak of the ribs 3 hours in looking really nice.

I then wrapped them in foil with a little bit of love to help them relax. Butter, brown sugar and honey. Then back on for awhile.

Earlier in the day I fired up grill number 4 for some potatoes using leftover charcoal. They cooked for a few hours until soft. Then that grill got corn on the cob to be ready for dinner.

Finished ribs!

They were fantastic! Could have used maybe 30 more minutes to be a bit more fall apart. But damn they were great eating!  I'm definitely onto getting them perfected. These were the first I've done with the great Mahogany color and not too dark. I monitored the grate temp this time and not the lid.  It made a huge difference this time around.

Hope everyone had a great fourth! Cheers!
Michael

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Duke

• The Duke
Re: What's behind lid #1??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
Excellent job! The ribs look perfect and the color is too die for! :o Please share that rub recipe.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
What's behind lid #1??
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
Thanks duke! I will post it here shortly, it's a high sugar content rub but very good. It's definitely a rub built for low and slow.  I need to tweak it just a bit and adjust the savory ingredients to make them shine.

MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
What's behind lid #1??
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:58:12 AM »
Just posted the rub recipe Duke!