Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Griddles  (Read 2568 times)

JMH

• Happy Cooker
Griddles
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
Looking for ideas or thoughts on griddle grilling. Have a 22, a gasser and a PBC; trying to narrow/decide how to go at this. Considering a camp chef explorer and the flat top accessory, a hunsaker for the 22, or a lodge ci griddle. I like that the lodge would work on both the 22 and the gasser. Not sure what other things people considered or had good luck with.

Looking for tips/advice from anyone that has been down this particular rabbit hole, and also for tips how to use on the 22 in terms of # coals, etc.

Thanks!

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: Griddles
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 06:53:26 AM »
I use my Pizza Steel quite often.  I have a 14.5" cast iron but the Pizza Steel works better.

Tempe480

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 08:16:54 AM »
I use the griddle plate off my electric Q and put it on the 22 works well

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 10:45:50 AM »
I missed this post over the weekend I guess.... I have the new SNS plancha which is a 1/4 thick carbon steel griddle plate that fits a 22" kettle.  It works very well so far - I've done smash burgers, chicken breast filets (butterflied) and multiple breakfasts that have turned out rather well.  There is a little bit of a learning curve with is as far as heat zones and I'm still experimenting.  What's worked best for me is to place the slots left and right with foil lined Weber charcoal baskets underneath each slot to catch grease and scrapings and put about a half chimney of glowing hot coals toward the back between the baskets, tapering off to no coals under the front 1/3 of the griddle plate.  My inclination is to put too many coals in and I can't seem to break that habit, fearing that I won't have enough heat to finish a cook.  But it always stays hot for another hour after I'm done, so I may get it through my thick head soon lol.... It is a lot of fun to cook on.  Best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 10:51:44 AM by bamakettles »

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 07:13:31 AM »
Another option if you have a metal shop in town.  Just have them cut a disc of your liking.  A 1/4 inch or 3/8 HSLA disc would be fine.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 04:12:41 AM »
Another option if you have a metal shop in town.  Just have them cut a disc of your liking.  A 1/4 inch or 3/8 HSLA disc would be fine.

Just curious, why HSLA? Regular carbon steel should work fine, No?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »
I like Bama's ideas for dealing with dripping grease from the disc style griddles.
I have an older Wagner cast iron griddle. It is about 10"x20" with a raised lip around the edge. It fits in a 22" kettle or my Genesis and works well for searing a couple of steaks or burgers, but not a lot of room for stir-fry, pollo asada, etc.
I have a larger Camp Chef steel griddle that fits in my Geni, but is too big for the kettle.
What do you want to cook and how many will you feed?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

JMH

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 06:06:57 AM »
No real plan for what to cook, figured smash burgers, fajita fixins, and breakfast potentially.  Like the idea of having additional tools in the toolbox for different ways of doing things. We're a family of 4, and would primarily be using it for ourselves vs large cooks. 

Started out thinking of getting 2 burner camp chef with a griddle on top, then started looking/leaning towards something for the grills so I didn't have to have another cooker, then that morphed into what about a lodge CI griddle because it could work on both grills.  Still kicking around the idea of the camp chef or a stand alone burner for plopping a big dutch oven on when we fry stuff.  I know that can also be done on the grill but not super confident in how to go at it just yet. Ultimately looking for a multi-purpose solution that works well, not just 'well I made it work'.  Does that make sense?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »
Ive used a cast iron griddle on both my charcoal grill and my gas grill.  It works but my friends all have blackstone griddles which is a way better option imo.

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 07:24:17 AM »

Just curious, why HSLA? Regular carbon steel should work fine, No?

It's lighter and slightly more resistant to corrosion.  It's also a bit more common in the manufacturing industry so shops are more likely to have "extra" on hand.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 07:07:25 PM »
I’m going to give this one a try.

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 05:18:26 PM »
I got a Hunsaker for Xmas and have used it a couple times since. I tried the foil lined charcoal baskets on each side, which worked, but it felt like I was left with a pretty narrow and too small hot zone between them. I also have a lot of people to cook for so maybe that was it. Second time I used it, I used two empty cans of corn which worked ok, but I couldn’t get them to sit flat on the charcoal grate, and some grease wound up missing the can. Despite all of that, I do love that griddle and plan to try something not so greasy next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »
I’m going to give this one a try.

I think you're gonna have a lot of fun with that

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;