Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vintage Ranch extension Mod  (Read 2923 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Vintage Ranch extension Mod
« on: December 29, 2020, 03:09:10 PM »
To me, an obvious design flaw of the early ranches is the low profile lid.  Don't get me wrong, I love it, and I'm looking forward to using it for a big party once we get wider vaccine distribution for COVID, but the lid height limits what you can do especially around the edges of the ranch.  Originally, this grill was listed over the summer with a roti ring included @Pezdogs has some pics showing that, but the gentleman who bought this grill then sold that separately to someone else before selling it to me. 

I had been thinking of how to improve on this, and after a hail mary Amazon search, I think I found an affordable option for a lot of people.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQQ2QHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This company called Flashing Kings sells 10 foot rolls of stainless steel flashing.  I haven't found anyone else anywhere who sells this product.  I got a 6 inch wide roll for $47.  It is 24 gauge 304 stainless.  This 10 foot roll is just about perfect for the circumference of a ranch (about 116 inches), as this roll is 120 inches.

So, today I used the following things to make this work:

Milwaukee Hard Steel Drill bit (You want the Drill Bits labeled HARD METAL, not METAL, because it won't do anything)

Four 1/2 inch #8 stainless machine screws

Four stainless #8 nuts and washers

two trusty clamps from harbor freight

Steps: Spread the steel flashing on the inside lip of your ranch, and then use the clamps to hold the steel in place where the flashing overlaps.  Make sure the ring is as close to the outside of the ranch as possible.

Put the drill on the high speed setting and use the bit to drill 4 holes.

After each hole is drilled insert the screw, washer, and nut.  Hand tighten and then go on to the next hole, making sure your clamps are secure.

Repeat the process until you have 4 screws in.  Once all are in, use a ratchet set and screwdriver to tighten each nut on the machine screws, making sure it is even as possible. 

Stand back and admire your handiwork.

The lid sits nicely on the expander, and seems snug all the way around.  the steel is plenty thick enough to support the weight, and I think the brushed steel looks nice. 

Now, I am done with this for now, but I'm really tempted to perhaps see if this can be truly converted to a roti ring, but that would be another project for another day.  Overall, this cost me about $60, and it's going to make the ranch more usable for large cuts going forward.

Hope you enjoyed this, and I'd love to see if someone takes the next step and makes this idea into a roti, before I do.

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vintage Ranch extension Mod
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »
Looks great, and is it sitting on the grate or down on the straps?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 03:18:00 PM »
It's sitting on the little ledge between the grate and the outside lip of the bowl.  The sun's almost down, and I'll get some more pics tomorrow.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »
It's sitting on the little ledge between the grate and the outside lip of the bowl.  The sun's almost down, and I'll get some more pics tomorrow.

I have a 10” riser on my ranch and it sits on the inside lip of the bowl.

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
Nice work on the SS ring

I’ll be roasting a pig on a ranch roti New Year’s Eve.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:38:29 AM by AZ2FL »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
What a great idea!
I could see how that low profile would make larger cuts and whole birds sit too close to the lid
Can’t wait to see how this works out for you

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 05:01:04 PM »
Well done Jason!!!
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »

Bravo Jason! Great job on recreating a replacement for the original smoker ring.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 03:26:05 AM »
Wow!  Your mothership looks badass! 

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 11:28:07 AM »
Looks great!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
Looking good!  I'd name it "Moonpie".  ; )

tgbelnap

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
Nice! How does this do with heat retention? Any need for gaskets? I’m wondering if I could use this on my 22.5 kettle to recreate a KettlePizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club