Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Are Glen Blue 26 Sweeps Really Stainless Steel?  (Read 1052 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Are Glen Blue 26 Sweeps Really Stainless Steel?
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:22:26 AM »
I got myself a Glen Blue 26" for Christmas and I love it! The Weber site says the cooking grate and the sweeps are stainless steel. That was one of th first things I checked when I got the grill. A magnet did not stick to the grates, but it did stick to the sweeps. I know the some of the older kettles came with SD sweeps. I have an 18" OTG that has stainless sweeps that are not magnetic. I also not that not all grades of SS are non-ferrous. I thought maybe Weber started using 430 SS which may explain why. It could also be they put the wrong sweeps in. I called customer service but the rep had no idea what I was talking about and only said that the schematic says they are stainless. I did ask if they have any SS sweeps part #90720 and at first she didn't find it but tried again and she did find it. The price was $30.

So to all those that have a Glen Blue 26" are your sweeps magnetic? Should I try calling again to get a different rep to have them send me SS sweeps?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 03:51:57 PM by Firemunkee »
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Are Glen Blue 26 Sweeps Really Stainless Steel?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:14:10 PM »
I would call again, hopefully you'll get someone that knows something.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Cellar2ful

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 02:01:22 PM »

I looked at the sweeps in my 26" GB. They do not appear to be made of aluminized steel, used in making the standard ash sweeps. The metal looks different than the standard ash sweeps but also different from my older black 26"er. The older SS ash sweeps have a shiny, almost polished look to them. My guess is the grade or type of stainless steel being used in the new GB's is different from the older ash sweeps. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 04:26:29 PM »
Thanks for the response. Have you tried sticking a magnet to both your 26s? I'd be curious to know the result. I would assume a different grade SS as well, but it would be interesting to know the data out there so that I can have more proof in case my are actually aluminized steel. I'm going to try customer service again and will report back once I have a definitive answer from Weber.

I looked at the sweeps in my 26" GB. They do not appear to be made of aluminized steel, used in making the standard ash sweeps. The metal looks different than the standard ash sweeps but also different from my older black 26"er. The older SS ash sweeps have a shiny, almost polished look to them. My guess is the grade or type of stainless steel being used in the new GB's is different from the older ash sweeps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »

Thanks for the response. Have you tried sticking a magnet to both your 26s? I'd be curious to know the result. I would assume a different grade SS as well, but it would be interesting to know the data out there so that I can have more proof in case my are actually aluminized steel. I'm going to try customer service again and will report back once I have a definitive answer from Weber.

Sounds like there has been a definitive answer...stainless.  Not sure why Weber would have any reason to be dishonest with anything much less something as minor as the ash sweeps.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:59:33 AM »
I thought the listing on their website indicated that they were stainless steel sweeps. Also I looked at the part number at one time and I believe it matched the part number that has been floating around here from time to time for their stainless steel sweeps you can order direct from Weber. 

One thing I do not now is the grade if the stainless steel.  I kind of doubt it is 304 SS so it could be at least slightly magnetic.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 10:56:20 AM »

Sounds like there has been a definitive answer...stainless.  Not sure why Weber would have any reason to be dishonest with anything much less something as minor as the ash sweeps.

Oh I'm not saying their advertising is false. Perhaps the aluminized steel version might have been installed, or as has been mentioned several times the grade of SS used for the sweeps for the modern 26"  are just magnetic, whereas older ones are not.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 12:03:46 PM »
Should be 430 stainless which is highly magnetic.