Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smokey Joe Gold  (Read 9721 times)

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Smokey Joe Gold
« on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
What year did Weber start/stop making SJ Golds with the bottom vent and ash catcher?  NOT the ones with the vents on the side.  I have one with the vents on it's sides and it SUCKS.

The guy on CL wanted $20 for this, I offered him $10 before I saw it in person because it has a bent top handle.  He said it's made like that........ ???  So I told him $10 is the best I can do.  He said fine.  I picked it up this morning and was happily surprised.  It appears to have been used twice AT THE VERY MOST.  The only bad thing is the handle which I can straighten out and a couple scratches.  Did I get a decent deal?  I really don't know, but I'm happy.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:51:54 PM by Larry Wolfe »
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
Re: Smokey Joe Gold
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 12:07:34 PM »
I am going to ask this on TVWBB, maybe there I will at the least get an erroneous response.  Kettle Club my ass!  I'm buying each of you a disposable KMart special grill for Christmas and taking your Kettles.
Larry Wolfe
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
I think it's a sweet deal...and stop yelling at me I just saw this post!  I had a horrible day yesterday and today wasn't too much better!

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
It's not a gold it's a silver. They still make that model. A gold has the side vents and Home Depot sells them. I think you got a decent price and that handle will fix with a mallet.  :P

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
It's not a gold it's a silver. They still make that model. A gold has the side vents and Home Depot sells them. I think you got a decent price and that handle will fix with a mallet.  :P

Goddammit, why do I always have to be wrong?  Why would the Gold NOT have an Ash Pan.  F Weber and their grills.

Brian, right now I could tounge kiss you I'm so goddamn mad at everything.  Especially Shaun saying, "It's not a gold it's a silver.".....here I am thinking I got a nicer than nice OLD grill and I could have gone and bought it from HD too?  F you guys and your nice OLD grills!  Have a nice day walking and climbing stairs!   :-[

BTW, the above post is meant to be funny.  If it offended you, Obama said, 'I didn't write that post'.  F- Scotty.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:50:10 PM by Larry Wolfe »
Larry Wolfe
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
I have one with the vents on it's sides and it SUCKS.
That's the Gold model. 

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:51:50 PM »
So the Gold is supposed to be better and it sucks.  I'm throwing this Silver away. 
Larry Wolfe
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »
So the Gold is supposed to be better and it sucks.  I'm throwing this Silver away.

Yeah, the SJG didnt come out until the plastic handle era. I like the silver better anyway. I'd thought of buying an ash can meant for an 18.5 and a lid holder from a SJG and do a  kit bash of an SJS to see if I can make it a true gold.  ;)

Craig

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
I have a silver just like it.  Don't chunk it.  Make a mini WSM.  I love mine.  It's a great little smoker.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:19:03 PM »
umm "Hello" it's a silver duh ::) tsktsk time out for you :D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 05:19:53 PM »
Yeah, the SJG didnt come out until the plastic handle era. I like the silver better anyway. I'd thought of buying an ash can meant for an 18.5 and a lid holder from a SJG and do a  kit bash of an SJS to see if I can make it a true gold.  ;)

Craig
I have two original sjg's with wood handles. They also had different legs.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »

Craig
I have two original sjg's with wood handles. They also had different legs.

I stand corrected! I guess I had never seen a pre 2000 SJG.   :-\

Craig

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
Man, Larry has  a hard on for the world today!
Yes, you got a good deal. For a silver.
The golds aren't necessarily better or wrose, it just depends on the intended use.
The golds have a handle, making them easy to take places. Like the beach for example.
You do surf don't you?
I like my gold for the mini WSM, as it seems to keep the temps down. But its all personal preference..
Now, what do you have to say?
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »
Man, Larry has  a hard on for the world today!  It seems like that doesn't!
Yes, you got a good deal. For a silver.  I thought so too.  The Gold I have, I did a vent mod into the bottom, just like the Silver and it worked 100% better.
The golds aren't necessarily better or wrose, it just depends on the intended use. I could never keep the temps hot enough to grill on the Gold until I did my vent mod.
The golds have a handle, making them easy to take places. Like the beach for example.I did/do like this feature.
You do surf don't you?  Yes, just got my 6ft custom Rusty Board back from minor damages while hanging ten with my bros in Hawaii overtop of a coral reef.
I like my gold for the mini WSM, as it seems to keep the temps down. But its all personal preference..
Now, what do you have to say?
Larry Wolfe
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 07:18:14 AM »
Here is an old Smokey Joe Gold with wood handle for sale

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/grd/3186732185.html
Kettle collector AND cooker!