Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Last pizza was burned, this one was doughy  (Read 8542 times)

brucemcclure

• Smokey Joe
    • My company's website
Last pizza was burned, this one was doughy
« on: June 21, 2021, 03:16:35 PM »
So, I tried pizza again after watching the recommended videos on temperature control (and reading all the tips given to me here). I think, after, all the information I consumed, I did a fairly good job of controlling my grill and not getting run away temps. I kept my temperature between 350-400, using only one basket of charcoal and filling it as needed. This, I think, did not give me the temps necessary to cook my pizza thoroughly.

When using glutenous pizza dough that's fresh, should I keep my grill at 425-450? Should I use both charcoal baskets and keep the pizza away from sitting on the burning coals so I don't burn the hell out of it like I did last time?

Any tips for a newbie?
I’m just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ball club. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Last pizza was burned, this one was doughy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
I got into grilling pizzas and never quite mastered it. I’ve since switched back to my indoor gas range at 425. Probably unpopular advice on here though [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 05:25:35 PM »
Need more info on your method and attachments you’re using.  Kettle Pizza takes some practice for sure…..I use the Kettle Pizza attachment with top SS plate which works well.  It’s taken me quite a few cooks to get it right, but it works well with patience.  I was very stressed at first and settled into taking my time and enjoying the (quick) process.  High heat around the rear half moon of the grill works best IME without any coals directly under the tombstone pizza stone with chunks of wood on the coals burning with visible flames.  Works well also with a pizza pan and is easy to spin for even cooking.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

brucemcclure

• Smokey Joe
    • My company's website
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 01:25:17 AM »
Need more info on your method and attachments you’re using. 
Honestly, I'm using my kettle and a pizza stone. I'm not using any attachments such as the kettle pizza, etc. For this cook,
  • My pizza was based on dough made fresh at a local grocery and bought this afternoon.
  • The Bride™️ rolled it out to a thickness that was about what we'd get at our local pizza shop.
  • I kept my kettle at about 350-375 for said pizza as last time I burned the hell out of mine (but that was a premade crust).
  • I used one basket of charcoal, adding to it as I saw the need. I'm thinking I didn't have enough heat generated.
  • My pizza took a tremendous amount of time to cook, and was still doughy when I pulled it. I tried to place it directly on the grates to see if I could get any further crisping out of it, and I did...a little.
So, am I correct in thinking that I need to push my temperature up to get this dough to cook correctly?
I’m just happy to be here. Hope I can help the ball club. I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 05:37:22 AM »
You don't really need the kettle pizza attachment - just sharing my method.  I would recommend the same method of charcoal / wood placement in the rear and stone to the front.  You'll have to crack the lid somehow to get the needed temps, but it can be done.  I've only used homemade fresh dough and mine take about 2 minutes to cook.  I'm sure there are some on here that don't use attachments, maybe they'll chime in.  Hope that helps!

Sime

• Smokey Joe
Last pizza was burned, this one was doughy
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 02:36:51 PM »
I use weber pizza stone right on grate, 1 basket overloaded with charcoal. I try to make a circe round the stone with the charcoal, nothing under it. High heat is good, in a real pizzaoven they are done in a few minutes[emoji4] The trick is to get the top done in the same time as the crust.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 02:45:02 PM by Sime »

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »
I need to break out the pizza cooker for my kettle again soon . It’s been awhile ….

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club