Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to keep grilled food warm  (Read 2163 times)

KettleThunder

• Happy Cooker
How to keep grilled food warm
« on: December 10, 2020, 05:17:26 AM »
Hey guys, I have been grilling for years but I have not mastered keeping grilled food warm. I tend to cook for 8-10 people at a time and obviously use a smaller grill. Most of the time it is a mixture of pork steaks, grilled chicken breast, and ribeye steaks. So, I generally cook the pork steaks and chicken breast first. Then, the ribeye steaks last. Pork steaks are generally pretty forgiving to keep warm in the oven, but the chicken breast tends to continue to cook or lose some of its freshness. How do you go about keeping these things warm while waiting on the steaks?

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
How to keep grilled food warm
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 05:32:43 AM »
Depend on what kind of grill you are using. Assuming we are talking kettles. I sometimes tent with foil. Sometimes pull off a few degrees before done, or move too cool zone just before done. The only true way would probably get a heat lamp. I have stuck in the oven, without the oven turned on. Sometimes on a tray in the microwave. Or just time it to where it’s the last thing to put on your plate. Also would depend on what meat. Steak, roast? I’ve also done  several chevken breasts for a crowd, by cooking them til about 150, then placing in a roaster, to finish. This method actually turned out really good. Hot food, moist, tender.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:36:28 AM by bbqking01 »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: How to keep grilled food warm
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 06:10:06 AM »
I usually put grilled meats such as chicken, burgers, hot dogs, pulled pork (after shredding), veggies and such in a small oven pan, cover with foil and pop in my oven warming drawer.  Granted, all people don't have a warming drawer, but this would work as well with a regular oven at a very low setting.  Keeps everything moist and ready to serve when all is done.  This method could work with an extra gas grill if you have one - only one side turned on very low and foil wrapped pan with food on the opposite side.  I wouldn't put the food over the hot side.

KettleThunder

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 06:18:38 AM »
Both, very good ideas. Thanks, that helps out alot. Yes, I run a kettle but I also have a gas grill so I will use it as my warmer, LOL.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »
Simple solution buy another kettle! Cook on both so that everything finishes at the same time.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:50:00 AM by 1911Ron »
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 07:41:27 AM »
We periodically do morale cookouts for the entire crew at work.  The best answer for keeping held food warm has been foil chafing trays.  I will pour a little boiling water in a full size tray and put the food in two half trays above that.  It prevents hot spots from the Sterno cans and if you use lids there's a little steam to help with drying out.  If I am on the grills, I slightly undercook whatever is going to be held in the chafers as it does tend to carry over cook a little in the trays.

We do the same thing at home for big dinner parties and holiday meals. You can buy folding chafer racks that don't take up a bunch of storage space for the 350 days a year you aren't using them.  Both full and half trays are a good deal at Costco and they are pretty handy to have around anyway. 

OR, you could use this as an excuse to get a Ranch Kettle!  Those monsters could have several temperature zones cooking at the same time

KettleThunder

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »
CWO,I have looked at this some. Do you still use the Sterno cans with the Chafer trays or is the boiling water enough to keep the food warm for a while?

Old CWO

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
You know that's a great question.  I always go ahead and use the Sterno because well, men and fire...The boiling water might just be good enough for a large family dinner. I guess we'll have to try it.

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
I have used hot baked potatoes layered on the bottom of a cooler to keep hot items hot. Works nicely and you’ll have another side.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
I stick in in the oven at 170, and keep the door open a bit. 170 is the lowest my oven goes to.

toiga

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 03:44:32 AM »
I use a lidded clay pot. It keeps the temp and moist enough to finish preping the meal and calling the family to eat
Tiago Baginha - The Portuguese Pit Master!