Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Franken Kettle id  (Read 1477 times)

aussiebbq74

• Smokey Joe
Franken Kettle id
« on: December 15, 2020, 09:59:26 PM »
Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,
A few months ago I purchased what I thought was a Weber kettle from a local junker for $30, to feed my charcoal cravings. It’s very basic. Just the kettle itself, leg assembly and grill and charcoal grates, no ash pan, I didn’t care as now I’m cooking with coals.

Once home I noticed that the grill and coal grates just sat loose within the bowl, nothing for them to sit on and be seated. No problem went to the hardware store and grabbed some stainless nuts and bolts. Roughly measured where they sit and proceeded to put them in.
While there I reset the daisy wheels with bolts too.

One daisy wheel was gone, with the holes cut out, looks like for ash removal. So got a sheet of galvanised metal and fitted it to help with heat control.

Did some cookin with out disaster, awesome!
Starting to get into it, I seen a few guys on YouTube and saw their beautiful sealed kettles smoking away. Ok gotta seal her up as best I can. So I got some high temp silicone and a fibreglass rope seal for a combustion stove and sealed up the lid and the hole in the bowl.

Since the sealing effort I have done 2 cooks some baby backs and pork belly with the bones in. They were super good as kettle now retains a lot more smoke and a well defined smoke ring in the meat.

Enough of the waffle time for some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

aussiebbq74

• Smokey Joe
Re: Franken Kettle id
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »
Here she is in all her glory.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 07:32:13 AM »
That’s a nice looking CharBroil kettle!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 05:52:39 PM »
Franken kettle does the job ! Nice one.

aussiebbq74

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 01:56:15 AM »
Cheers guys, I know she’s rough but is my first kettle, good to learn on and no bad reviews on the food that she has produced
Thanks