Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What am I looking at here?  (Read 6866 times)

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
Re: What am I looking at here?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:55:23 PM »
i need a brownies.  The washer and bolt fix sounds like a winner.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Bluesman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »
Both of the red heads I just picked up have a socket like that. I was thinking washer and a rivet, but I like the bolt idea better. One of mine is already riveted in three tabs so I'll just leave it. All of the sockets are rusted but tight. I'm going to get the rust off and then repaint with Hi Temp red. That's a great grill spend time and clean it up real good. When you are done you will be proud. Oh, I ordered new parts for both of mine yesterday from Weber, they will be old and classy.
2000 Simpson OTG, 2010 22.5 WSM, 98 SS Perfomer, Q100, Q200, Smoken Bucky UDS, 1983 WGA, 1995 Red Master Touch, Early 70's Red Statesman
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »
and re the leg sockets, do as Duke says, just be aware drilling through the tabs is not "easy" so "be careful"

Not to muddy the waters here, but if the other two tabs seem pretty solid, how about filling the gap w/ JB Weld? May need a couple of applications to fill it, but I did it on my Old Grey and it's working great.

Just a thought.

Dude, relax your chicken.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 05:33:08 AM »
and re the leg sockets, do as Duke says, just be aware drilling through the tabs is not "easy" so "be careful"

Not to muddy the waters here, but if the other two tabs seem pretty solid, how about filling the gap w/ JB Weld? May need a couple of applications to fill it, but I did it on my Old Grey and it's working great.

Just a thought.

Never thought of that, will that work?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 08:14:18 AM »
dazzo, I love JB Weld, and was going to suggest that as a slightly more elegant option than the bolt and washer combo, but I have never used JB in a high heat application.  I have heard anecdotally others using it in high heat situations with some success.   Two questions:

1) What has your success been with JB weld during cooking at high heat?
2) Are there any off gas concerns?  I have never looked at the Data Sheet for JB.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 08:46:26 AM »
They have a high heat version for continuous 450 and intermittent 500.  IDK, I can get some really hot fires in my kettle.  I think I am going to stick to the screw and washer method,  it is not as nice but this is a 30 year old grill so.....
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
Well, after only about 10-12 cooks, it's holding up good. I was scrubbing the grate last night and bouncing the kettle around, so I'll take a look and see if I've weakened it at all.

It was only one tab on one leg, so not a lot of JB Weld. I have..hack..hack..haven't seeeenn any s-s-s-side effects twitch..twitch from using the, um, um, grill? yeah, the grill. Dang, why's my finger loose?

Seriously, those are good questions. You know the washer will work. Like I said, just a thought   8)

"When fully cured, J-B Weld is non-toxic. However, we do not recommend consuming the product."

"Original J-B Weld can withstand a constant temperature of 500º F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600º F for a short term (10 minutes). Refer to individual product packages for more temperature information."

And more importantly, "Yes, it is microwave safe."

http://www.jbweld.com/faqs/

Dude, relax your chicken.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 08:54:30 AM »
LB, I agree those numbers sound really low for the way I cook sometimes.  I am interested in the Dazzo report.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 08:55:44 AM »
This concludes the "Dazzo Report".

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 09:46:44 AM »
It was only one tab on one leg, so not a lot of JB Weld. I have..hack..hack..haven't seeeenn any s-s-s-side effects twitch..twitch from using the, um, um, grill? yeah, the grill. Dang, why's my finger loose?

Hilarious