Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Return to my favorite wing method  (Read 1637 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Return to my favorite wing method
« on: December 03, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
Cooking direct at a height is my favorite way for wings. Something about being cooked direct the entire time makes the meat tender and fall off the bone. Not great pictures but they were really good.

First time trying b&b briquettes. They really are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
Re: Return to my favorite wing method
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 05:24:20 PM »
Cooking direct at a height is my favorite way for wings. Something about being cooked direct the entire time makes the meat tender and fall off the bone. Not great pictures but they were really good.

Nice direct wing cook.

My wife will not eat wings, so I never make them at home. If I want wings it’s at a local restaurant.

I like the B&B briquettes and lump. Briquettes are hard to start at times, not sure why. They burn clean without the nasty smell of kbb. I’m not a fan boy of kbb.

Would you purchase B&B again?
Cheers

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 05:52:53 PM »
Love the cooking method.   I have  to try that on the Wsm with no water pan.

Did you get the B&B at Ace Hardware?  I’ve tried the lump.   Best I’ve ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 06:14:04 PM »
Looks really good.... I’ve been in the vortex mode with wings and thighs this year and this looks like a fun method.  Like @michaelmilitello said, would be a fun cook on a high temp WSM.  Could even place the coals on the lower cooking grate of the WSM.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 02:36:42 AM »

Would you purchase B&B again?
Cheers

Yes!  I was very pleased with them. They are larger in size than kbb and they have a pleasant smell.  Looking forward to a longer cook to test them out.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Return to my favorite wing method
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 02:42:16 AM »
Love the cooking method.   I have  to try that on the Wsm with no water pan.

Did you get the B&B at Ace Hardware?  I’ve tried the lump.   Best I’ve ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny you asked that. I went to summerfield ace hardware first. They used to have a a large Weber display and plenty of briquette type charcoal. That was years ago. Now they primarily only display green eggs and pellet cookers and only had lump charcoal. (No b&b)

Rural King had b&b oddly enough. I haven’t seen it there before and there wasn’t much left so I don’t know if it will be a regular thing.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 02:44:56 AM »

Looks really good.... I’ve been in the vortex mode with wings and thighs this year and this looks like a fun method.  Like @michaelmilitello said, would be a fun cook on a high temp WSM.  Could even place the coals on the lower cooking grate of the WSM.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Yes. No water pan and top rack works perfectly. I cook wings, chicken parts, half chickens, pork tenderloins sausages and countless other things that way.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2020, 03:34:27 AM »
I like direct wings, and the aroma coming from the grill is better and makes me hungrier
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 05:44:08 AM »

I like direct wings, and the aroma coming from the grill is better and makes me hungrier

That’s for sure

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2020, 04:40:07 PM »
I tried the B&B briqs. They do take longer to light. Nice smoky aroma. Just too $$$ for me. I'll stick with the RO Natural.

Looks like you have a rack at the top of your rotiss ring. I like it. Might try it tomorrow.