Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: cryovac whole beef cuts .how long can these be stored in the refrigerator  (Read 1753 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
costco whole beef cuts.  ie. New York Strip.

cryovac packaging.

how long can these last in the refrigerator before being cooked?

last year, bought a cryovac of whole new york strip cut during thanksgiving sale..got nervous after a few weeks, placed it in freezer and defrosted for christmas.

ive read how the cryovac whole beef cuts can be stored in a refrigerator for a month with no noticeable taste/odor change.

anyone else here store the costco whole beef cryovac packs for a month?  issues or no issue??

Grills

Kain

• WKC Ranger
Two months so far. Normally push to 3 months in the bag roll them over every 2 days & never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
I buy the whole New York strip roast at Costco all the time. I cut them into steaks immediately and vac bag and freeze. They are always great.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
perfect..thats what i figured.. just always good to get some valid data points from the members here..when looking at a $150 cut of beef
Grills

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
cryovac whole beef cuts .how long can these be stored in the refrigerator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
It really depends on the kill date on the cryo. 30 days is optimal. You can go 45 days out (and some people have gone up to 60 days) and you should be ok as long as it’s not punctured. Sometimes that info is found on the case and sometimes on the cryo.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:45:00 PM by Mike in Roseville »

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
I’ve read that to gain the maximum benefit of wet aging and the tenderness it can produce, it actually is good to let it get close to “use by” date. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyointx

• Happy Cooker
I believe the food scientists I work with would say the oxygen barrier in the packaging will give you 30 to 45 days of protection.