Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WIld boar bacon...again..  (Read 1075 times)

WeberSwede

• Smokey Joe
WIld boar bacon...again..
« on: November 30, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »
Ok, 2 weeks ago, hunting time again. This time, I had more fun.. :)

We started off at 08.15. I had a "line back" position due to wind and the dogs were unleashed quite a distance, north of my position.  So, I am facing north of course. That's where the dogs are and they are to go south. :)

about 08.25, I notice movement with the very far end of my peripheral vision and I turn my head around. there it is, a wild boar boar, about 120-140 kg, really black "fur" and really the classic "bull neck", looking at me, from 20 meter distance. I lift the gun, but....I never in my life thought a wild boar would be that agile. 3 steps over the road behind me (I am sitting right next to the road)  a jump up on the stone wall I am sitting on, and then, off into bushes... no time to get a shot of, without taking unnecessary risks and cause a prolonged suffering.  Ah well, I had something visiting me at least. And what a prime specimen it was indeed.

Lunch and hunting position change. story repeat itself - almost - hear a crackle of a branch behind me - turn around and see the rear end of a moose cow and a moose calf.

Dogs are unleashed south of me and my sighting, I of course turn around and it takes about 5 to 10 minutes and the moose cow, moose calf AND a moose bull. Problem is, they are coming straight at me, and that's not a shot you can take. Also, we only had "a calf as our share" and that one was in the middle of the "freight train" coming at me.... so, holding, holding....and thinking - they will turn , then, I get my shot.. :)

15 meter from me, finally the moose cow turns and leave a broad side, I don't look at her, focusing on the calf, which follows - and gives a broadside... and I realize, there are trees blocking. Next 2 seconds, I see the rear ends again. This time of 3 mooses. 

That was my hunting day. But, the hunt-leader gave me a bit of an encouraging. He's been hunting in that area for 20 year (me 4 or 5) and he's never seen 5 mooses even on different time occasions, from one and the same position and day.

As comfort - I was again given one of the wild boars (we shot 4 of them) to bring home with me. Seems I am one of the few having space in the freezers...

So, one 40 kg (without intestines) wild boar got hung up in our garage, once again. :)

about 5 days later, it was time to start butchering.... :)

Again - I wanted to look into the bacon-business a bit, so, once again, I did the cuts accordingly. Unfortunately, the gun shot wound forced me to cut off quite a sizeable amount of damaged meat, but, that's life when you hunt.

I did the "dry salting" once again, and this time, I reduced (on my wife's request) the amount of sugar, still keeping the ratio correct in regards to the nitric salt (or what it is called) and the black pepper.

7 days in vaccum packing and cooler, and... well...the pictures should tell you a bit about it.

I can say that my wife (and I) was happy with the result. my wife even said "ok - some of those crazy projects you do here at home ( automation, IT-infrastructure, outdoor kitchen etc etc) are now forgiven - not all, but quite a few... :)

So, I am on the plus-side in my wife's book, again. :) Hope you enjoy some of it too, even if it's on a distance.

Cheers,
WeberSwede

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: WIld boar bacon...again..
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:44:36 AM »
looks like success to me !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Re: WIld boar bacon...again..
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 02:53:35 PM »
Very nice, only had wild boar once and it had a great flavor.  Looks like a successful hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador