Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Rare Bird...  (Read 2609 times)

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
A Rare Bird...
« on: November 29, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
Hey all, hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

Haven’t been hunting much for grills the last several months...my wife and I have a four month old and he has kept us plenty busy!

A buddy of mine tipped me off to a posting for a “Free Webber” on the Nextdoor app which is one I never use or would have ever thought to look at. I clicked the link and, well...it’s an ambassador.

Sent the guy a message at 30 minute mark, no response. He eventually got back to a grill fella I had solicited for help (Mike in Roseville). Mike set it up, and I went down and picked it up with a couple bumps on the way but no big deal.

Needs some work,but most of the black stuff on bottom is caked on grease and should scrub away. A fun project to have, no doubt.

What a way to end the weekend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 08:03:47 PM by solidgoldstein »

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: A Rare Bird...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
Wow, congratulations!

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »
What a find!!  Congrats!

Joep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
Great project!

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 01:29:33 PM »
Great score!  Congrats.

I know a bunch of grillfellas just downloaded the Nextdoor app. 

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 01:30:42 PM »
I think she will clean up nicely. They don’t come around very often- great score!

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »
Congratulations Alex. The Ambassador owners club is a very small group. By my count that is the 7th Ambassador to surface in California since I have been a WKC member.  Wonder why so many found in California?  Was it the color that was attractive to Californians or was it that a Weber sales rep concentrated on selling the Ambassadors here in California?  Guess we'll never know.

Mine (62) found in Saratoga, California
@Harris (63 found by @fedex in Southern California ) *I believe you have two, the second one I'm not sure of it's origin
@1spacemanspiff (63)  found in Northern California
@crowderjd (64 found in Cathedral City, California - near Palm Springs)
@solidgoldstein (64)    (found in Northern California)

*The other two Ambassadors are still "in the wild" (both are 1964s).  I have seen photos of them posted on a Facebook Weber group site. Both are in Northern California, one is in a city close to Saratoga where I found my 62.

Not only is it caddywhompus, seems it has a very early "racing" triangle. (lol)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 02:50:34 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 03:14:34 PM »
I want to be an Ambassador of some sort

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 03:41:16 PM »
Nice score, congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
A Rare Bird...
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 06:02:00 PM »
Congratulations Alex. The Ambassador owners club is a very small group. By my count that is the 7th Ambassador to surface in California since I have been a WKC member.  Wonder why so many found in California?  Was it the color that was attractive to Californians or was it that a Weber sales rep concentrated on selling the Ambassadors here in California?  Guess we'll never know.

Mine (62) found in Saratoga, California
@Harris (63 found by @fedex in Southern California ) *I believe you have two, the second one I'm not sure of it's origin
@1spacemanspiff (63)  found in Northern California
@crowderjd (64 found in Cathedral City, California - near Palm Springs)
@solidgoldstein (64)    (found in Northern California)

*The other two Ambassadors are still "in the wild" (both are 1964s).  I have seen photos of them posted on a Facebook Weber group site. Both are in Northern California, one is in a city close to Saratoga where I found my 62.

Not only is it caddywhompus, seems it has a very early "racing" triangle. (lol)

Haha yeah, I have some liquid wrench on the thumb screws to try and loosen them up. As for the “racing triangle”, I noticed it when I picked it up. I don’t see any evidence of broken welds on the triangle, so it either came that way or broke off decades ago and slowly smoothed over/rusted away.

Also, the tires were installed backwards with the whitewalls facing in. Probably saved them from exposure to elements, the whitewalls are still in pretty decent shape

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:03:36 PM by solidgoldstein »

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
A Rare Bird...
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 07:12:51 PM »
Glad to have an assist in this epic score. A few people messaged the owner yesterday, but nobody heard anything all day. Figured it was gone or sniped. Oh well. Kettles are like buses: always another one coming around.

Last night, owner asks me if I’d like to get it at noon on Sunday? I asked if he was available earlier; got the address and the rest is history.

Why the guy got back to me (and not others); we’ll never know? A few of us were available to agent, but Goldstein wanted to personally grab it. Sooo sweet!

Price wasn’t bad either. [emoji6]

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 07:54:19 PM by Mike in Roseville »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »

Haha yeah, I have some liquid wrench on the thumb screws to try and loosen them up. As for the “racing triangle”, I noticed it when I picked it up. I don’t see any evidence of broken welds on the triangle, so it either came that way or broke off decades ago and slowly smoothed over/rusted away.

Also, the tires were installed backwards with the whitewalls facing in. Probably saved them from exposure to elements, the whitewalls are still in pretty decent shape

Interesting.  The wheels on my Ambassador were installed the same way with the white walls facing in.  I wonder if the grills were put together and sold at a cooking demonstration back then.  Also interesting about the triangle.  I would think there would be evidence of the broken welds if it had come with an outer bar.  Another Weber mystery.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
Beautiful find.
Congratulations on your Ambassador.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

solidgoldstein

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 08:02:51 PM »

Glad to have an assist in this epic score. A few people messaged the owner yesterday, but nobody heard anything all day. Figured it was gone or sniped. Oh well. Kettles are like buses: always another one coming around.

Last night, owner asks me if I’d like to get it at noon on Sunday? I asked if he was available earlier; got the address and the rest is history.

Why the guy got back to me (and not others); we’ll never know? A few of us were available to agent, but Goldstein wanted to personally grab it. Sooo sweet!

Price wasn’t bad either. [emoji6]

Yes! Shout out to Sidney also (the other fella willing to agent). Good dudes!

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »
Always happy to help when I can. I was getting worried for you when I didn't hear anything from you or the seller.  Either way it would have ended up where it is now.  Congrats
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger