Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Deer sausage question  (Read 2504 times)

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Deer sausage question
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2020, 03:05:51 AM »
Damn @AZ2FL you are taking us to school on SS I love it. Making me want to get in the game
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 05:45:16 AM »
Damn @AZ2FL you are taking us to school on SS I love it. Making me want to get in the game

Thanks @JEBIV

If you don't have access to a meat grinder and a sausage stuffer. You can use beef ground chuck, buy a premade SS seasoning package and 1-1/2" or 2" pre-tied nonedible fibrous casing. Each casing will hold 1-2 pounds of meat, depending on the diameter and length.

Soak fibrous casings in warm water for 30-45 minutes.
Mix SS per package instructions.
Use a gallon Ziploc bag with one corner cut off to pipe SS meat mixture into casing. Remove all air bubbles, voids and twist extremely tight. (casing are very strong and rarely blow out). Leaving about an 1-1/4" of headroom. Tie off twisted end with butchers' twine or a hog ring.
Let rest in the refrigerator for minimum of 12 hours (max48) before smoking.

Cheers

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 07:53:29 PM by AZ2FL »

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 02:08:04 AM »
AZ2FL, do you ever make dried/cured summer sausage and snack sticks, with natural casings? I've got all the tools, including grinder, stuffer, etc., but it's a much trickier process. I'm talking about the kind that have to hang for an extended time in a certain environment. I've got recipes/techniques from local old-timers, but it's a little scary -- especially for a decent-sized batch.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 08:55:35 AM »
AZ2FL, do you ever make dried/cured summer sausage and snack sticks, with natural casings? I've got all the tools, including grinder, stuffer, etc., but it's a much trickier process. I'm talking about the kind that have to hang for an extended time in a certain environment. I've got recipes/techniques from local old-timers, but it's a little scary -- especially for a decent-sized batch.

I do not have a curing chamber or a refrigerator setup as a chamber for dried/cured meat using #2 cure. I have researched the dry/cure method a few times over the past year. I don't think it would be that hard to do. Having a chamber to control temp and humidity is key, along with good record keeping.

I currently cure and smoke American bacon, summer sausage, Canadian bacon, corned beef, buckboard bacon and smoked sausages using Pink Cure #1 (Prague #1). Last year I wet cured a 12lb turkey for 28 days and smoked it, meat was pink and tasted like ham.