Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: State of the 26 address  (Read 1477 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
State of the 26 address
« on: December 20, 2020, 05:52:49 AM »
This is after ten years hard use and never being covered. The ash pan fell off recently so I decided to put it in the shop for cleaning and service and possibly some modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: State of the 26 address
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 06:04:43 AM »
Makes you wonder how many meals and innumerable pounds of coal it’s seen.   Are those the original one touch blades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 06:07:32 AM »

Makes you wonder how many meals and innumerable pounds of coal it’s seen.   Are those the original one touch blades?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they are. Is the one touch system the same as a 22 or are they specific to a 26?  They still look serviceable but just curious.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 06:24:09 AM »
Looks a bit like the OTP I restored recently.  Ash sweeps were buried like that but in open position.  I dug them out and soaked in super clean for a week since they are SS on the OTP.  Had another set of aluminum sweeps brand new and installed them due to impatience.  Anyway, yours might be SS?  I recently also ordered parts to complete a GB 26” and the sweeps are a different part number and have a different curve than the 22” sweeps.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
State of the 26 address
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 07:25:34 AM »
I gave the bowl a rough scrape. One touch system is stainless or at least a magnet doesn’t stick.

I have a couple leg sockets that have pushed in and deformed the bowl and causes the grill to lean. Most likely from being in my truck ratcheted down for parties and tailgating.

I’ll fix the bowl but probably leave it roughly scraped since it’s a daily driver.

The baked on crud is much tougher to clean on the back of the bowl and lid where I bank coals. I have a little crazing but nothing major. Not too bad for basically constantly banking coals on the back.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 07:27:18 AM by HoosierKettle »

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 07:28:30 AM »
The ash sweeps are stainless steel on the newer model 26"ers.  Here are the part numbers for new SS ash sweeps:

(18”) – 90719
(22”) - 90720   
(26”) - 63046
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 09:09:57 AM »
Cool thread, what kind of mods are you considering?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »

Cool thread, what kind of mods are you considering?

Just a couple small mainly cosmetic things. Nothing major.  I will post a follow up when I get it done. I need to do the mini ranch conversion at some point. It would be nice to make it sturdier.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 10:32:17 AM »
Leg socket areas are starting to rust but not bad considering.  I fixed them where they were pushed in and at least it sits straight again.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 06:38:43 AM »
I wish i had picked up one of these when i was at Weber.  There were a few tricks with the sweeps as the original 26 had none.  A few tweaks to the curve and covering the slots well enough.

Don't get me started on the leg couplings, but I had mentioned the issues at large elsewhere.

but this does show how you can just go with it for a long time and just let it do it's think.  I do that with my old Statesman.  hardly touch it and it's one of my faves.
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.