Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ash bucket PITA!!!  (Read 1445 times)

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
Ash bucket PITA!!!
« on: November 24, 2020, 03:54:35 PM »
Having KILLED an early Mastertouch
(Can't tell you exactly what year due to having replaced the lid vent.)

I can't tell how much I HATE the squeeze version.  I have tolerated it. But as I get older and older it's so difficult to make sure the F-ing thing is seated!!!  Is the really the BEST that Weber engineering has to offer!!!

I hope it's just not me, but Damn, Napoleon has a much more user friendly version as does Smoke N Sear.  Loving my Kettles butt the ash buckets SUCK!

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: Ash bucket PITA!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
I have to agree with you the newer Ash buckets being a PITA.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 05:54:01 PM »
Agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 07:43:35 AM »
Its the weakest feature IMO. In mine the "pins" don't even both align with the "notches" either! You have to squeeze raise let one pi out to engage then while holding enough tension to let it rotate, but not enough tension to disengage then wrench anyway & release while still tensioned.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 07:52:07 AM »
I just restored a 2004 OTP that has the older style.  I definitely prefer the older style.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 09:03:08 AM »
I generally agree, but on my new Glen Blue 26er, the tension seems a bit less, and it has been very easy to get on and off.  I had a smoke master touch earlier and it was AWFUL.  Hopefully Weber has worked this out in their newest versions.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 08:11:36 PM »
I think the bucket should be on the outside of the ring. It seems that ash leaks to the ground between the ring and the bucket. Even worse in an overfilled situation.

That said, I prefer the squeeze handle over the lift and turn handle. It is easier for me. I didn’t like it at first, but it loosened up to where it is easy to squeeze. Was stiff at first. I find the lift and turn sometimes doesn’t turn so well.

They both leak ash between the ring and the bowl.

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 06:36:33 AM »
Totally agree with the hate for the squeeze handle.

I have the older turn style on all 3 of my kettles. Purposely swapped over the old style from some grills I've bought and sold.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 07:40:39 PM »
Personally, I can’t stand any of the ash bucket solutions weber has released through the years. I don’t care for the saucers (twist on or clip version) nor do I like any of the bucket styles.

I prefer a galvanized bucket sitting on the triangle below my one-touch ash sweeper.

I suppose, for daisy wheels, the twist on ash saucer is the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 05:22:26 AM »
I think they made a change to the tension on the current production kettles. They seem much easier to squeeze now. My new 26" is much easier than my Summit charcoal.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 09:49:07 AM »
I generally agree, but on my new Glen Blue 26er, the tension seems a bit less, and it has been very easy to get on and off.  I had a smoke master touch earlier and it was AWFUL.  Hopefully Weber has worked this out in their newest versions.

I think they made a change to the tension on the current production kettles. They seem much easier to squeeze now. My new 26" is much easier than my Summit charcoal.

I agree with these observations. The one that came with my glen blue 26 had usable tension but the early models were hard to release. I still chucked it in favor of the older style lol.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791