Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22" Master-touch Modding  (Read 3333 times)

chromdome35

• Happy Cooker
22" Master-touch Modding
« on: November 21, 2020, 10:09:16 AM »
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to install the Unknown BBQ hinge on my 22" MT but I have a couple of questions first.

1st Question:  The instructions say to mount the hinge over a leg to prevent tipping.  In everyone's experience, is this an issue or is it just standard legal disclaimer stuff?  If I mount the hinge in the back, would a weighted shelf (Think Granite or something heavy and flat) on the bottom shelf be enough to counterbalance?

2nd Question:  When I remove the stock wire lid bale, there will be 3 holes in the kettle that need to be filled in.  I was thinking of getting a couple of bolts 1/2" long to put through the holes.  I was going to put a little high heat gasket caulk in the holes to give a good seal.  Is there a better way?

3rd Question:  I use a couple of the BBQ Dragon side tables, I really like them and would like to continue to use them; however, if I mount the hinge over a leg, then the front of the grill would be offset by 40-60 degrees.  The factory handle becomes an issue with using the side tables and would need to be removed.  Should I leave the original front as the front in which case the lid opens at an angle to the front, or should I just cut the original handle off and let the front relocate?

Thanks!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 22" Master-touch Modding
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
I’ve installed one on a non MT kettle, no bail removal to deal with, so no advice on hole filling.  If it were me I’d put ss bolts with a nut and washer in them.  I installed mine centered in the back with no issues whatsoever with tipping.  I say put it where it makes sense for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club