Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hunsaker vs. Lava Lock Griddle  (Read 1823 times)

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
Re: Hunsaker vs. Lava Lock Griddle
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2020, 07:38:00 PM »
I think the Hunsaker does well for the price.  The only griddle I would pay more for would be one that had 1 inch side walls welded to the griddle to manage grease and have kind of bumper to push food towards.  One flat backside might also be preferable.  I primarily use mine for smash burgers while using a Blackstone for sides and burger toppings. 

Some day I would like to cut and weld my own griddle set up because I really think it could be done better as DIY project.  An improved design just doesn't work well for cost and design vs sellable price.  I would probably go flat back that is open for air flow, 1 inch lip all around, and improve how the grease/scrap gets diverted into a waste bucket. 

Its just really hard to beat the Hunsaker price point, but it is affordable because they probably have a CNC plasma cutter set up to crank these things out in seconds.  I would recommend that you buy it direct from their website so Bezos doesn't get a cut of a small business trying to offer a good product. 

I tend to like the Blackstone for breakfast a little more just because it is quick and has a little better heat control.  (Sorry!)
I agree with you in buying direct.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
Get outta here blackstone lovers! Lol
P.s. definitely buy direct instead of from Amazon. If you are in Missouri you can go pick it up from hunsaker yourself even.
No I am in San Diego, but I will buy direct.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 09:28:39 PM »
Hunsaker has my vote. Love it.
Bought the 18" so it would fit on my camping kettle. I also use it on my 22"s and on my summit charcoal just laid on top of the grate. As far as grease management goes, it runs down the sides of the bowl and ends up in the ash pan. No issues for me.
Can't go wrong, it's made in the USA and only $29.99 with free shipping.
Ordered direct also. Jeff Bezos doesn't need any more money. He has enough.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2020, 09:51:50 PM »

Didn’t ask where it was made, but I doubt he’d outsource metal disks to China.  But not sure.  Anyway, veteran owned business, I don’t mind supporting him.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Yeah, I hear ya. From what I've seen of Dave, he seems to be a pretty stand-up guy.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 08:41:17 PM »
I’m not a fan of a griddle with no sides. Don’t want the grease flowing into my bowl, making a mess of the bowl and ash bucket, possibly catching fire too.

I use a reversible round griddle with sides that works well. Cannot find it, but found this, which looks like it could work well and contain grease. Also has a stand for when taking it off the grill or even serving. Available for 17 less without the stand on the same site.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/american-metalcraft-gs18-round-wrought-iron-griddle-18-with-matching-stand/124GS18.html#reviews

Too bad that globe griddle isn’t available. It looks like a really nice piece.

Mainline

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 01:44:26 PM »
I think the big openings as the handles on the Hunsaker are a plus. Makes pushing the grease down and away much easier

But I've never used the Lavalock, I'm sure it's a good product.

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »
Think I am leaning towards the Hunsaker. The handles being in the way on the Lavalock took them out of it for me.