Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hunsaker vs. Lava Lock Griddle  (Read 1807 times)

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
Hunsaker vs. Lava Lock Griddle
« on: November 12, 2020, 10:30:15 PM »
I saw the other post on the Hunsaker and it looks great, but I wondered about the handles/holes. Do you loose a lot of food down them? Then I saw the Lava Lock Griddle and it only has venting through the name. Does anyone have experience with the Lava Lock? The few dollars more is not a big deterrent, and both are made in the USA.
Thoughts?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blu082003

• WKC Brave
Re: Hunsaker vs. Lava Lock Griddle
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 02:19:37 AM »
Ohh that’s a good question. I love my hunsaker griddles 22/18 and I’ve had great service from the company. But I’ve also had good experience with lava lock products so I’m sure you couldn’t go wrong with either. I haven’t had issues with losing food in the holes but I usually just cook for the wife and I. So smaller amounts. The few times I was cooking for larger groups it was smash burgers so not a lot flying around. It might be nice to have just the one opening of the lava lock, put a drip pan under it and angle it so the grease goes in that direction when you’re cooking bacon. That’s been my only issue with the hunsaker I’ve been pretty good at starting small bacon grease fires [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 06:12:28 AM »
Might also consider the SNS grills 1/4" thick carbon steel plancha.  Just became available and although pricey, it's built like a tank.  It has holes on both sides as well.  I've got one on the way and plan is to line two Weber charcoal baskets with foil to catch grease under each hole.  I have a similar SS griddle from my kettle pizza attachment that works the same way.  I prefer having the holes so I can direct grease and other unwanted items like scrapings toward and through them.

https://snsgrills.com/collections/grill-grates/products/sns-plancha

Smooth Jonny BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 06:38:25 AM »
I looked at those but ended up going with the Little Griddle. The drip tray keeps the grease out of your grill and the sides keep the food contained. It's a bit more expensive, but worth it to me. https://www.amazon.com/Little-Griddle-KQ17R-Stainless-Tailgating/dp/B003VGM012

Smooth Jonny BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 06:43:26 AM »
The Little Griddle with the Smashula.

Sent from my SM-A600AZ using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pancho2017

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »
Idk I think if I bought one I'd go with the LavaLock just because it has proper handles not just cutouts plus the lazer cut "LavaLock" looks smart.

SnS makes great products but that Plancha looks to be on backorder till mid to late December.

The Plancha weighs 23 lbs, then you add food maybe a bacon press smashing burgers plus you're gonna add another 60ish lbs of down pressure smashing down them burgers I'd be concerned about the legs bucking on the kettle then you'd be in the s**t. There goes that party.

Steel toed boots would be in order not flip flops or sandals just imagine 23 lbs of hot greasy 1/4 thick steel with no handles dropping down on your toes it would be like a scene from National Lampoon's Vacation lol.

foshizzle

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:15:47 AM »
Agreed on the weight issue. Have the Hunsaker for my 26” and it’s nice to have but do think about the extra weight on the 26” legs which seem a little unstable anyways. Think it’s less of an issue on the 22”.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 08:23:40 AM »
Or option c. Get a blackstone.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 10:07:54 AM »
Idk I think if I bought one I'd go with the LavaLock just because it has proper handles not just cutouts plus the lazer cut "LavaLock" looks smart.

SnS makes great products but that Plancha looks to be on backorder till mid to late December.

The Plancha weighs 23 lbs, then you add food maybe a bacon press smashing burgers plus you're gonna add another 60ish lbs of down pressure smashing down them burgers I'd be concerned about the legs bucking on the kettle then you'd be in the s**t. There goes that party.

Steel toed boots would be in order not flip flops or sandals just imagine 23 lbs of hot greasy 1/4 thick steel with no handles dropping down on your toes it would be like a scene from National Lampoon's Vacation lol.

Good points!  I think when I get it and try it out I'll use it on my OTP when it's finished.  I like the stability of the cart over the legs for this type of cook.  Thanks for bringing that up!

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 10:12:44 AM »
I have the 26 hunsaker and the 22 lavalock. I thought the handles would be an upgrade, but if anything they are more in the way. And i like to be able to push grease and stuff down through the hole on the hunsaker. I saw the price on the sns, but didnt realize it was thicker.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 10:42:53 AM »
I think the Hunsaker does well for the price.  The only griddle I would pay more for would be one that had 1 inch side walls welded to the griddle to manage grease and have kind of bumper to push food towards.  One flat backside might also be preferable.  I primarily use mine for smash burgers while using a Blackstone for sides and burger toppings. 

Some day I would like to cut and weld my own griddle set up because I really think it could be done better as DIY project.  An improved design just doesn't work well for cost and design vs sellable price.  I would probably go flat back that is open for air flow, 1 inch lip all around, and improve how the grease/scrap gets diverted into a waste bucket. 

Its just really hard to beat the Hunsaker price point, but it is affordable because they probably have a CNC plasma cutter set up to crank these things out in seconds.  I would recommend that you buy it direct from their website so Bezos doesn't get a cut of a small business trying to offer a good product. 

I tend to like the Blackstone for breakfast a little more just because it is quick and has a little better heat control.  (Sorry!)
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
Get outta here blackstone lovers! Lol
P.s. definitely buy direct instead of from Amazon. If you are in Missouri you can go pick it up from hunsaker yourself even.

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 01:08:57 PM »
Might also consider the SNS grills 1/4" thick carbon steel plancha.  Just became available and although pricey, it's built like a tank.  -...unwanted items like scrapings toward and through them.

That SNS one looks pretty good, although I'd have trouble paying $99.00 for one that's likely made in China, as opposed to >$50.00 for one made in the U.S.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »

Might also consider the SNS grills 1/4" thick carbon steel plancha.  Just became available and although pricey, it's built like a tank.  -...unwanted items like scrapings toward and through them.

That SNS one looks pretty good, although I'd have trouble paying $99.00 for one that's likely made in China, as opposed to >$50.00 for one made in the U.S.

Didn’t ask where it was made, but I doubt he’d outsource metal disks to China.  But not sure.  Anyway, veteran owned business, I don’t mind supporting him.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Krawtschenko

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 07:36:31 PM »
That is what I was hoping to hear, if the handles were a help or a problem.
I have the 26 hunsaker and the 22 lavalock. I thought the handles would be an upgrade, but if anything they are more in the way. And i like to be able to push grease and stuff down through the hole on the hunsaker. I saw the price on the sns, but didnt realize it was thicker.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Weber Kettle Club mobile app